Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Wood Booger Is Back At Margarette Falls


Yes, it has been a while since the Wood Booger graced the pages of this blog. While the Wood Booger enjoys life on the trail with few cares or wants his alter-ego Russ has real-life problems. While I am not going to go into specifics here, let's say that it put me out of action for the middle part of October. While I have been on the trail, a number of times I just haven't blogged about any of them yet. 
It is obvious that I do this blog for fun and it means a lot to me, but I just haven't felt it, even after hiking. I have enjoyed all of these hikes, so I guess I didn't want the pressure of the blog. Like I said I do this fun, I have tried to make money from it and that hasn't worked. If I ever do that would be cool, but for now, to lessen the pressure I feel I will do the blogs when I get them done. Some will have more writing and others not so much. I might have a good number of photos, but sometimes it might be less and I might not do much work on them. 
Oh, don't worry Pete fans he still going to write his part of this blog and I know he will have a lot to say. When I was indisposed he was hiking with someone name Alexander...don't ask me? Anyway, I will work backward on these outings. So, now the hike portion of the blog.


Tuesday was the Fourth Annual Halloween Hike, again this year at Margarette Falls. I have gone here the last two years, but I had decided to forego it and instead head up to Jones Meadow and Camp Creek Bald. I even drove all of the ways to the Viking Mountain Overlook, but that is far as I got because of an iced over road. When I started up I noticed snow, a good amount, but none on the road, but leaves (it is still rough as a cob). It wasn't until I was within sight of the Viking Mountain Overlook that I came upon the first big patch of ice on the road. It didn't cover the whole road, but I knew it could be worse past the overlook as that part of the road is always shaded and they don't scrape it. I decided to start up but hit an area totally ice covered and I started to spin my wheels. I wasn't going any further and I hadn't reached the section with the guardrail, so I backed out and headed back down (I was around half-mile from the top). 





But it wasn't all bad...I decided to head to Margarette Falls for the Halloween Hike, which was also the first day of Bear Hunting Season (with dogs). While ice and snow blocked my way up top the melt was pouring down the streams providing the best water flow I had seen on this hike. The lower cascades, including Dry Creek Falls, were roaring. Oh, and a course that meant that Margarette Falls was at its most spectacular. It all added up to a great day of hiking, I have had quite a few recently.















No comments:

Post a Comment