Saturday, November 11, 2017

Pete Is Back In The Day...Down The Rabbit Hole


This is a special Back in the Day edition of Down the Rabbit Hole. The Big Lummox was supposed to have put this up, before his sabbatical, but he didn't. So, here it is in all of its glory!
Yes, I know it has been a while since this blog was graced with the presence of the Hiking Machine Pete. I have to have a reason to write a blog and I haven't had one until this week when I got back on the AT (Appalachian Trail) at Cliff Ridge above the Nolichucky Gorge.
Yes, over two weeks ago I was on an easy hike at Laurel Run Park. It seemed I was carrying some extra weight up Canebrake Mountain (and heard plenty of complaining). The best part was the off-trail hiking. I felt bad for the Big Lummox as the waterfalls here where about dry. In the words of the funk band Parliament "better luck next time."


Then last weekend the Lummox and I went to the Cabin and we got an easy Paw Paw hike in out to the second barn. I really didn't break a sweat on either of these hikes. Also, on the weekend was the Clinch Coalition High Knob Naturalist Rally. I will cut him some slack on this one as the Big Lummox had to work, including cooking a ton of hot dogs.


That brings us to Tuesday and the AT hike at Chesota. I should have known I would have some carrying to do as the Lummox brought the slobbering "pig dog" Bax on the hike. Yeah, he is "babysitting" him, but did he have to bring him out on the trail. It didn't start out too bad as he had some energy, but then that "big boned" frame finally caught up with him and I had to carry both him and the Lummox up Cliff Ridge. Well, at least he didn't try to eat me this time. But it was an AT hike so it wasn't all bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment