Saturday, November 11, 2017

We Know This Is What You Have Waited For The Return Of Down The Rabbit Hole


Since the Wood Booger or as I refer to him...the Big Lummox returned to blogging what everyone has really been waiting for is the return of Down the Rabbit Hole with your's truly Pete the Hiking Machine.
I could have been blogging as I was out with Alexander (we share similar back problems), but the Big Lummox was indisposed and I couldn't sign into his blogger account. So,  I had to wait until he got back into the swing of things. Anyway, I will stick to the hikes I did with the Lummox recently. 
I will go over the group of hikes before I get to this past this weekend's backpack because the Big Lummox outdid himself there. Hell, he has not even blogged about some of these yet, but our first trip out was back in mid-October after his sabbatical (panzy) to Ramsey Cascade. Boy, four miles uphill with an out of shape Lummox you know my back was hurting. The next day I drug him out to Bays Mountain with the promise of some squatching. I got what I wanted, but the Lummox didn't...ha, ha, ha!



Then it was on to an autumn hike from Indian Grave Gap to Beauty Spot. The Big Lummox was a little better on this hike because I only needed two ibuprofen after this outing. However, it was an AT (Appalachian Trail), so that made it great. 


Then it was on to the three days at the Sierra Club Chapter Meeting. I got to go out three times, first an easy hike on Friday and two on Saturday. The first on Saturday was back to Pouge Creek Canyon, but because of rain, we did the shorter hike from the main trailhead. I felt in good hands as Ron lead this one. We weren't so fortunate in the afternoon as "the Hike Leader" was out front on our outing to the Twin Arches in the Big South Fork NRRA (National River Recreation Area). But, Ron was there to keep us on track (thank God). This was a good easy hike. I need to mention that Gloria from the Watauga Group had me make my own name tag out of these round pieces of wood. She is another of my favorites in the Sierra Club...cool, unlike the Lummox and others.




Our next outing was on Halloween for the annual hike. The Big Lummox decided to grow a set and head up to Jones Meadow and Camp Creek Bald. But a little ice and snow made him shrink and turn tail and run. Still, the ice and snow melt made the waterfalls pretty amazing.



Now to the two-day backpack to the Walls of Jericho. I wasn't worried about the confusing map or the lack of blazes in Alabama, we had the "Ultimate Hike Leader" in charge Will. He got us to the campsite and the Walls of Jericho. Then came the "accident." I was hiking up the South Rim on my own as I was coming back down I heard a scream that sounds like a cat who' s tail got caught in a door. No, the Big Lummox had spilled boiling water on his leg...what a klutz! He cried like UT fans after that Georgia game...again, ha, ha, ha! At least he listens to those there like Will, Margaret, Kathleen, and Hans, because his leg might have rotted off otherwise. Oh, and then the Big Lummox about crapped his pants when he heard some coyotes close by. Everyone in camp were calling out to me as they knew the Lummox was going to be of little help. Anyway, he whimpered the rest of the night, which made for a poor sleeping. 



I don't know why Will gave the Lummox those keys the next day, I guess he figured he would give them to Hans...but no he decided to hike to the cars with Kathleen. Now normally I would have dusted her, but not with over 200 pounds on my back. We made it to the trailhead, I just hope Will doesn't hold it against that the Lummox is, for a better word, worthless and lets us come back next year! Anyway, there is a special Down the Rabbit Hole to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment