Saturday, November 18, 2017

Squibb Creek Falls...One Of The Best Waterfalls No One Knows About


Off the heels of my hike Sunday, I hit the trail on Monday with an outing to Squibb Creek Falls. I didn't plan to hike Monday, but I had my second appointment in Greeneville was moved, so since I was there why not go out. I did a Back in the Day Blog on this hike which starts at the end of the Horse Creek Recreation Area and into the Sampson Mountain Wilderness. 

Headed up...

...into to bear country...

Beautiful seen on Horse Creek.

Heading in to the wilderness.

While it was not near as cold as it was four years ago it was still on the cool side. That meant I didn't want to stick my feet in one of the 15 creek crossings...one-way. There is six alone in the last half-mile. First time I did this with Glen, but this time I was on my own, so again I didn't want to fall into the creek. I will say that if you see Johnny Molloy's rating in his book on Tri-Cities this is not a two-star hike, but a three. That is because of the creek crossings, it is uphill going in and is a 4.5-mile hike. 

First footbridge...

...there is one more before the creek crossings start.

Turkey Pen Cove.

Onto the Squibb Creek Trail.

It was uphill...

...one of the larger crossings.

...the only blaze are these ribbons.

One of the final six in the last half mile...

While there is the main Squibb Creek Falls, this hike should be called the Falls of Squibb Creek as there are at least six other waterfalls of varying size. Two are pretty large and had good water flow. Still, the main event is Squibb Creek Falls 25-foot cascade that bends to the left into a plunge pool. It is like a smaller Margarette Falls, but without the crowds. 

The first of...


...large waterfalls...


...before the main event...


...Squibb Creek Falls.

The biggest thing on the way back was I almost fell in the creek on the second crossing, but after that, I made it across better going out than coming in. Another funny thing was when I left out the parking lot was full of leaves, but when I got back they were gone. This is definitely one of the best waterfall hikes that most people don't know about.

The crossing were I almost fell in.

The back of "my cabin."


The parking lot when I started...

...& when I finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment