Monday, June 10, 2019

Crossing A Bridge To Long Island & A Cherokee Monument To The Seven Clans


Another thing I did this weekend was checking out a Cherokee Monument in Kingsport.
I hadn't heard of this until I was at my local Sierra Club meeting, Care NET last week when someone told me about it with pictures. So, on my way back Saturday from the Clinch Coalition Retreat I decided to stop by the Holston River and see this monument.


The parking area is between the one across from the Netherland Inn and the Riverfront Seafood Restaurant. Then you hike down the Kingsport Greenbelt, at Boatyard-Riverfront Park, and across the Swing Bridge. Even though it had been there for years I had never crossed the bridge and always planned to, but just hadn't. Anyway, this gave me a good opportunity to cross the bridge and enjoy the view of the river. 






The monument is right as one crosses the bridge to the left. It is in honor of the seven Cherokee clans and stating, in a central plaque: “Sacred Cherokee ground/ Relinquished by treaty on Jan. 7, 1806. 3.61 acres returned to the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians by the City of Kingsport on July 16, 1976.” It is a pretty cool monument and worth the short trip across the Holston River.










No comments:

Post a Comment