Friday, June 28, 2019

No Rhododendrons, But A Beautiful Day On The Roans & Gray's Lilies To Boot


I was going to go to the Roan Highlands for a backpack last weekend, but the weather got in the way. So, Thursday I went to Carvers Gap looking for Rhododendrons (Catawbas to be excited) but instead found another surprise...Gray's Lilies.
I had a feeling when I got to the visitors center at Roan Mountain State Park that I might be too late for Catawba Rhododendrons as I encountered the Rosebay variety, which usually blooms when their purple cousins have passed up high. When I got to Carvers Gap my fears had been realized...no Rhododendron blooms. I have been at Carvers Gap and seen some stragglers even into July, but today none (I have added pictures to show the difference between 2016 & now)!







Then I overheard some people talking and then saw a sign... Gray's Lilies. These rare beauties that only appear at high elevations in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia and were discovered on Roan Mountain in the late 19th Century. They bloom in early to mid-summer and with all my trips to the Roans I have only seen a couple once back in July of 2014. However, today I didn't see just one or two but a bunch. So, it more than made up for the lack of Rhododendrons. What is funny was there were a few Flame Azaleas hanging on.






The other thing that made this trip more than worth it was the weather. Comfortable temperatures, cool breeze, and brilliant views it was a big difference from my last trip here in April and how it was when I got back to Johnson City.  





















On my way out I discovered something new at the state park. Across from the park headquarters was a conference center I didn't know was there. However, the coolest thing was the aviary with two Barred Owls, Capano and Shiloh. Also, a Great Horned Owl named Sunshine...cool.
Once again it was a great day on the Roans...








No comments:

Post a Comment