Friday, August 16, 2019

Another AT Hike, Another Section Completed...Iron Mountain Gap To Clyde Smith Shelter


Thursday I had an appointment (dentist) in Johnson City, so I took the opportunity to also go hiking. What better hike than finishing another Appalachian Trail (AT) Section...this one is Iron Mountain Gap to Hughes Gap.
Like the other recent AT Sections I have completed I will eventually do a blog on the entire section. Anyway, I had done part of this section back in April when I hiked from Hughes Gap to Clyde Smith Shelter, including going over Little Rock Knob. So today I hiked from Iron Mountain Gap to Clyde Mountain Shelter.



To do this I parked at Greasy Creek Friendly, a hostel just over half-a-mile from the AT. It is a nice hostel and the people like the name are friendly (especially the dogs). I parked here so I could be shuttled to Iron Mountain Gap. then I hiked six miles to the shelter (completing the section). Funny when I got there a sign for Cherry Gap Shelter was there.















After leaving the shelter I headed back south on the AT to Greasy Creek Gap. From there it was downhill to the hostel. Funny thing as you head down the old roadbed it is blazed red and then at a point green. You know you are about to the hostel when you have to climb a fallen tree and reach the boundary for the Pisgah National Forest. Overall, it was a good hike to finish another AT Section.














No comments:

Post a Comment