Friday, November 15, 2019

Snow Adventures In The Cherokee National Forest


Snow...for some it is something to avoid, but for it is like a magnet. I love hiking in the frozen white stuff, but it does have its pitfalls. That is why Wednesday was Snow Adventures in the Cherokee National Forest (CNF).


With snow across the area, I didn't have to go far, so I chose to hike out of one of my favorite places, Horse Creek Recreation Area. The plan was to hike into the Samson Mountain Wilderness and hike to and up the Turkey Pen Cove Trail then back down the Middle Springs Ridge Trail and out. I last did this hike two years ago. It is a 4.5-mile lollipop loop with some nice ridgeline views.  However, the snow had different ideas. The hike got off to a good start, with beautiful views, but that changed once I crossed the bridge on the Squibb Creek Trail.






As I headed up the trail I didn't run into blowdown, but bentdowns, rhododendrons to be exact. The snow while only about three inches was wet snow, so it stuck to trees, especially the rhododendrons. Besides making it slow going I kept getting snow dumped on me, it was wet and cold. Because of this, it took me more than 30 minutes to go just over half-a-mile.








It was at the junction of the Turkey Pen Cove Trail where I thought about heading back, but I pressed on, hoping the trail would get better. Well, it didn't, just the opposite, it got worse. When not climbing over and through rhododendron I noticed mine was the only tracks on the trail... except for the bear that crossed the trail, to avoid the mess. I am guessing I went a half-a-mile before I reached a section I just didn't think I could safely get through. So, with a protest from Pete, I decided to tap out and head back.








However, I wasn't done hiking because it was a beautiful day and to make Pete feel better we went to his falls. Besides that, I decided on this because it was a four-mile round trip and most of it is on the old roadbed. That means there was a better chance that I wouldn't have to wade through rhododendron. While there were some spots where rhododendron encroached on the first mile of the road, nothing like what I found earlier.





The second section on the Poplar Cove Trail was also clear and it wasn't long (0.3 miles) before I crossed Sarvis Cove Creek and reaching the junction for Pete's Branch Falls Trail. Since this was my third trip (one & two) I knew this half-mile trail didn't have a lot of rhododendrons, so I knew I wouldn't have the problems of earlier and I was right. 












This is a beautiful hike anytime, but it is a little more special in winter (I know it technically falls). I was happy and more importantly so was Pete...








1 comment: