Friday, November 22, 2019

One Step Closer To That Elusive November Deer


When Thanksgiving approaches there is another November tradition...Deer Hunting Season, and to be specific firearm time.


It is hard to believe that this is the third year going out (2017 & 2018) and once again I wasn't too successful. However, for the first, I did see a deer while hunting. First, I decided I was going to the Cabin on Wednesday, but I ended up leaving before dawn as Dad needed to meet with Dwight about the spring.





So, I got to go out Wednesday evening and I stopped by two different deer stands. First was at the junction where I spent a few minutes. The second was on top of Gillenwater Ridge, it was the one I  spent most of my time last year. I saw animals...it was just squirrels.









On Thursday morning, I got up before dawn and headed up to that first deer stand and sat there quietly for three hours. So, I decided to get down to walk around and sit a little, so I headed up towards the other gate and sat down. As I sat there all a sudden a deer came out of the woods. I will admit I got excited, but I calmly scooped the deer and unfortunately, it was young, had no horns and was a doe...which means I couldn't shoot it. I mean it was obvious it was young because it wasn't too afraid of me. I mean it looked a lot like Bambi.











For the afternoon, I went up the hollow in front of the Cabin, mainly because I had tweaked my back, so I didn't want to go too far. I found a good place and in between all the squirrels I heard what might have been a deer. I never saw it, but this was my most successful days out yet. As I like to say if it was easy it would be called shopping not hunting.








This year I am going to practice with the bow and will be ready for bow season to resume in December.


No comments:

Post a Comment