Monday, July 13, 2020

No Bears Or Bobcats, No Problem When You Get A Visit From A "Birdfeeder Bandit"


Seeing wildlife is one of the highlights when spending a few days at the Cabin. Not every time will you see Bears or Bobcats (like last time) sometimes it is just something like a deer or this weekend, a Raccoon.
He would come around Sunday evening, but his presence was felt before that. When we arrived Friday two of the bird feeders had been taken down. I wasn't sure if it was the Bear or something else because the green feeder wasn't flattened. On Sunday morning, the plastic feeder had been messed with because it was tilted. I figured the most likely candidate was a Raccoon, but I didn't know "who is the Coon?"

Photo from YouTube

Well, that would change Sunday evening as I sat by the fire pit. Out of the taller grass, he came sneaking out heading toward that feeder he messed with the night before. I don't know if he noticed me, but he had his mind on birdseed. I had to get up and I made some noise, he saw me and wobbled back to the higher grass.



About a half-hour later here he came back, but this time he opted for the cedar tree and going for the green feeder. Up the tree, he went and he slowly made his way to the green feeder. He then grabbed it and shook it to get the seed out. Then he came down and ate the seed off the ground. While he showed up we also had a brief appearance of a deer. As for Bandit, that is what I am calling him, slipped off. Then as I was getting ready to head in around dark I saw him again. This time he climbed the maple tree to shake the plastic feeder. I guess we know who the Coon is.




While I didn't see Ole Slew Foot I did see plenty of bear sign. There is the big Fraser Fir where he hasn't just rubbed on but clawed. Also, I found plenty of bear scat. So, he has been around.



Watching wildlife wasn't all I did. On Saturday I did weed eating and lots of it. So, much so I stooped when the battery ran out of gas. Then on Sunday, it was mowing, a break to get the tractor unstuck, back to mowing, then more weed eating. I finally got time for a hike, but as Pete mentioned I just didn't hike I did some work at the same time. I took my chainsaw to cut out some deadfalls covering the trail. One was a large cedar tree that also took out another tree. Oh, and it was wrapped up in some vines. It turned out to be some work. As I said above I did enjoy sitting by the fire pit Saturday and Sunday. Overall it was a tough (& sweaty) weekend, but nice all the same.







1 comment: