Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Yes, There Is Light At The End Of The Tunnel...It's Not A Train...So Get Vaccinated!


Since the dark days of the COVID-19 Pandemic descended over one-year-ago a light at its end was a goal we all hoped to see. Today was my day to finally come somewhat in the light as I got my COVID-19 vaccine today.
Back in December when the first vaccine, the Pfizer one, became available it was a sign of hope, but the rollout of doses of it made it still seem a ways off. But then at the first of the year (while I was on the Camp Creek Bald Fire Tower), my Dad got his first dose of the Moderna vaccine. That was the day I had waited for since this began. He was in the high-risk category and I was just relieved he got his. 

Camp Creek Bald in January

However, when did I think I would get mine. I first thought late Summer. Then I moved that up to June when President Joe Biden said 100 million vaccines in 100 days. Then a couple of weeks ago President Biden announced all Americans over 18 years old would be able to start getting shots by May Day. Then this weekend I heard a report that for the first time Tennessee had more vaccine than demand. Just today the age fell to 55+, but while old I wasn't old enough.

The line early on...

Anyone who knows this Wood Booger will confirm I didn't care which vaccine I would get. Whether Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson and Johnson...hell, I would take the Sputnik V if I could! With that, I thought the first of April might be when I roll up my sleeve.

...no, you never had to leave your car...

...there was beautiful scenery while I waited...

Then today I got a tip from a member of my family that they were giving Pfizer shots at old Greene Valley Center until 2 pm. So in a flash, I was out the door and on my way...this was my chance. I didn't know what to expect, but when Greene Valley came into view there was a line of cars visible. I will admit my heart sank a bit, but luckily cars weren't back up onto 11E. 

...getting close...

So when I pulled the line actually wasn't that bad. The process had gotten pretty streamlined. I have to admit when the guy gave me the paperwork I got really excited! It wasn't too much longer I got my second shot appointment card and then rolled up my sleeve and it was done. I know I have another shot in three weeks, but that light felt good! 

...my paperwork...

...the moment of truth!

Anyway, I just want to say I was thankful to get my vaccine, but like most things, it was a group effort. So, if you have gotten a vaccine, help someone else, and when it is your time and you are eligible get the shot! It isn't a matter of faith, there is no conspiracy, no train at the end of the tunnel and it is much better than being on a respirator or worse. Remember we have lost over 550,000 fellow Americans (probably someone you know) and closing on 3 million worldwide. If we all want to reach the light...get the shot!



No comments:

Post a Comment