Wednesday, March 10, 2021

One Year Ago It Became A COVID World

Wow! It has been a year this week when the world went upside down with the COVID-19 Pandemic. So, I am doing a short blog about this year that changed our lives. 

Yes, I could have done this blog last week as rightfully there is a push to make March 1 National COVID-19 Remberence Day. I remember when I did a COVID Blog back in April the case and death numbers were high, but we had seen the worst, nowhere close (as of today in the US has almost 30M cases & 528K deaths)! It was also the week that the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus a global pandemic. But I decided to write this one now because this was when everything went off the rails. On Monday, of this week, last year I did my last Appalachian Trail (AT) Section (Spivey Gap to Chesota) because I knew things might get bad soon, so I wanted to get it done because I needed a shuttle. I even talked with my shuttle driver about it. Then on Wednesday, everything went crazy as Rudy Gobert became his positive test, for coronavirus, shutdown the NBA and professional sports as a whole. It coincided with the first confirmed case in East Tennessee. I remember the following day I went hiking at Laurel Run Park, which would be my last outing anywhere (besides the Cabin) until May. It was also the first day I wore a mask in a store what I didn't know at the time I would be wearing one up until the present.

Last 'COVID free' AT hike, Spivey Gap to Chesota...

Laurel Run Park the last place until May...

I remember not knowing what this virus was totally about. So, I was wiping down mail and stayed home, like I said until May. Eventually, we learned that with masks, social distancing, and other mitigation practices it was okay to get back on the trail. However, it was a lonely year out. Not counting Bax, who hiked with me at the Cabin (after recovering from ACL surgery), I only did two hikes with people. One was an overnight backpack at Mount Rogers National Recreation Area (NRA) and at the Channels in Virginia. While I don't mind soloing I do sometimes miss outings with people. Still, I did plenty of camping and saw some great sunrises and sunset

Mt. Rogers NRA (Top & Left Middle) & The Channels (Right Middle & Bottom) 

Bax & I

Eight of my campsites...

Sunrises: Grassy Ridge Bald (T), Cold Springs Mtn. (L) & White Rock Cliffs (R)

Sunsets: Max Patch (T), Beauty Spot (L), Brier Ridge (R) & Camp Creek Bald (B)

As I pointed out in a few blogs I also started a new hobby, collecting old trail guides. I was also successful with an old one, making Maple Syrup. Hiking in the snow got me through the Dark Days of the Pandemic this Winter. The saving grace was that competent adults are back in Washington following the since when it comes to COVID. Now the vaccines are getting out (my Dad has gotten both of his shots) with the third vaccine being approved and the announcement that there will be enough to go around by Summer an end...a finish line is in sight.

Guides: GA & TN (UL), Sierra Club Smokies (UM), TN Guides Box (R), Guide Box (BL) & Southern Appalachians (BM)

Maple Syrup Making

Snow on Roan Highlands (UL), Roan High Knob (UR), 

There are a lot of things I haven't done in over a year. I haven't been to an REI (there is a new one in Sevierville), been to the Smokies (that one is hard to believe, slept in a trail shelter (the ones on the AT are mostly closed), a Coffee Donut, eaten in a restaurant and many others. After I get vaccinated, which I hope is soon, I might eventual get to do some of these sooner, but all sometime later. However, mask-wearing maybe something I don't give up. The flu all but disappeared and one big reason was mask use, so these will be a part of my attire going forward. 

REI (UL), Jerry's Cabin Shelter (UR), Foothills Pkwy (M), Status Dough (UB) & Korean Taco House (BR)

One of the last times before mask (UL) & some of the places where I had a mask...

In closing, I just want to say add this is not the time to let our guard down. Keep your distance and that mask on! Oh, when it is your time for the vaccine...JUST GET IT!

Pete's message & mine...


No comments:

Post a Comment