Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Camping, Gear Testing, Hiking & Morel Hunting Makes For Good Times


This weekend I headed over to the Cabin to mow and most importantly to camp.
After my two aborted attempts at Old Forge Campground I needed to test my sleeping bag and I just needed to get out. So, I decided to take my new Nemo Disco 15° sleeping bag and tent for my trip to Southwest Virginia. This isn't the first I have camped at the Cabin. This would be my third "test camp." However, unlike those times I decided not to camp just outside the Cabin but just under Wood Booger Ridge almost half a mile up. I have thought of making this a campsite, so what better time than the present.



So, after some mowing and eating dinner, I grabbed my backpack and headed out. I used the shorter steeper trail I made to get up to the spot near the four trail junction. The reason I chose this for a campsite was the abundance of wood and plenty of flat tent spots. I decided to use the middle spot because it was closer to the wood. Another thing I had no problem finding was rocks to build my fire ring.



After putting up my tent and building a fire I settled in to relax and watch some deer come through, a barred owl hooting but no bears or other Wood Boogers. Oh, and no creepy people coming through my site. 







Remember that sleeping bag I mentioned I needed to test? I will do a more in-depth review later but the mid-30's temperature was a good test and it easily passed. I never got cold at all. In the morning I decided to go morel hunting. I hiked up Wood Booger Ridge to some spots where I usually find some, but no luck. 






So, I went back to my campsite, broke it down, and headed back to the Cabin. Just before I got there near the old truck I found not one but four morels. By the time the weekend was done my Dad and I would find ten. We were happy and so was Pete (not the morels but the camping).





On our trip over it just wasn't Pete, Dad me, and Bax. No, on this trip Lester also accompanied us. Those familiar with this blog know about Bax, but not as much about Lester. Unlike Bax who is an extrovert, alpha dog Lester is more challenged as he isn't much on hiking or getting his picture taken. Bax likes the outdoors and Lester the couch.



Because of Bax's love of going out, I promised to take him out. I was tired Saturday evening, which meant Sunday morning. He made it early, waking me up about 7 am...he was excited. Anyway, we headed up over Russell and Robert Knobs. It was a good hike and Bax was happy (and so was Pete). 










I got to camp, gear tested, morels found, and a couple of enjoyable hikes plus plenty of birds and wildflowers. That all equals a good weekend in Southwest Virginia.




No comments:

Post a Comment