Sunday, April 25, 2021

Waterfalls & Old Cabins All Part Of The Laurel Run-Bays Mountain Loop


There are days when I need to get out and Friday was one of them at Laurel Run Park. This day also turned into one where I hiked because I was enjoying being on the trail.
Besides getting out another major reason for the day out was wildflowers. Pound for pound not many places are better for wildflowers than Laurel Run Park, it's like a mini-Smokies. When I got to the park, just the drive-in didn't disappoint.




As I do most times at Laurel Run I headed up the Overlook Trail with plenty of wildflowers and the really nice vista. Once the Overlook rejoined the Laurel Run Trail it was on to the main creek crossing, but the water was down making the crossing easy. 











So, I knew that Laurel Run Falls wouldn't be roaring, but the flow was better than I expected. After passing LLittle Laurel Run Falls I headed up the Laurel Run Trail first passing the trail down to the top of Kiner Falls and eventually reaching the old homesites of the Morrison Family, Asa Simpson, and Alex Wallen. When I finally reached the junction with the Kiner Hollow Trail I had a decision made? Turn around and head back or do another two and a half miles into Bays Mountain Park to the junction of Kiner Hollow and Pretty Ridge Trails. To Pete's delight, we decided to keep hiking.










The last time I went right and hiked this anti-clockwise, but I decided to go straight this time instead. This way isn't as steep as it cuts up Kiner Hollow.  Two more homesites are passed Roller and John Simpson) before reaching the junction. 




As I turned to head down the Pretty Ridge Trail, this is good to mention that some new blazing and signs were added since my last trip here. The Laurel Run Trail used to be white-blazed (like the Appalachian Trail) but now shares a red diamond with the Kiner Hollow Trail. The Pretty Ridge Trail is now a blue square blaze. Oh, the confusing signage was improved with new ones showing the path of the Pretty Ridge Trail. Still, they need to change the sign at the trailhead because the blazes listed don't correspond with the trail.







Once back on the Kiner Hollow Trail it was down the steep section going past the Wallen Family homestead. When I got back on the trail I had to decide if I want to hike to the base of Kiner Falls. or head back...you know what I decided. The last time I did this there was a spot to go down off the Laurel Falls Trail but now a little further down there was a new manway. Let me say it is steep and because of a blowdown you have to cross Kiner Hollow Creek to my usual trail to the base. 











After enjoying Kiner Falls I headed back on the aforementioned trail. Once back on the Laurel Run Trail it is a relatively easy trip back. But, my day wasn't over, I did the short walk down to the Holston River and saw some cranes. 





That wasn't all, on my way out I went over and enjoyed my favorite waterfall in Hawkins County...Bays Mountain Falls. It makes a great end to an excellent day!






1 comment: