Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Closing Out Summer At A Scott County Treasure...The Devil's Bathtub


My trip early this week to the Cabin was a little different. I am going to start with the hike I did. It was different than normal because it was on my trails across our land. No, since I was flying solo I decided to get up Monday morning and head out to the Devil's Bathtub

On my way to Southwest Virginia

This popular spot isn't that far from where you turn up to go the Cabin. It is no more than ten minutes, it takes longer to get back to the main road. So, I turned left at the old house, which is good as I know that because the Devil's Bathtub sign on this side was missing (but the other side in there). Another thing to know if you turn in here is that you can't get a passenger car to the main lot because in the six years since I was last here it has become REALLY rutted...I mean high clearance rutted. 

"The Tub" in 1981 (L) & 2015 (R)

The sign in 2015 (L) & in 2021


I have a 40-plus-year history with this Scott County Treasure. Like I said my last visit was in October of 2015 there have been some editions to this hike. While the sign at the trailhead is gone there is a new information kiosk and triangle yellow blazes. The first half-mile heads downhill and crosses the first creek. This one is one of the tougher ones because it is deeper than most and the rocks to hope are bigger and more spread out. However, being summer it is a little easier with lower water levels.

Information Kiosk



While I was doing this a four-mile out-and-back it can be done as a seven-mile loop. Because of this, you want to go left at the sign (which is also a different sign). From here you just follow the Yellow Blazed Trail. While the trail is wide, I wouldn't describe it as easy. A lot of people think this and a lot have to be rescued. The reason is the 10 creek crossing on this trail. When the water is up you will rock hop and probably still get your feet wet. When water is low the difference is you don't get your feet wet. Just know this is not a short jaunt on a flat trail. Still, you can't deny the trail's popularity and how can you tell...all the trash left behind. I  doing a Rant Blog on the (here) but let me just say it is a lot. 

Old sign (T) New Sign (BL) & the direction


Old Railroad Cart



Anyway, you know you're almost there when you reach the narrow path down to the creek with a rope cable to assist. This is where the main swimming hole is (and a lot of trash). But you are not there yet as a steep short climb leads you to above the Bathtub.  After passing a mileage sign you go through rhododendrons and it will be down to the left. It once had a sign which means it is even easier to miss. So, if you reach the creek crossing you need to backtrack as you went too far. 

The downhill with cable (L), Waterfall (RT) & the Climb (RB)

Swimming Hole

This nice sign is no longer here (T) now it is this one (B)

As for the Devil's Bathtub itself, you might be surprised by its size.  It might seem small at 20 feet by four feet but it is an impressive 10+ feet deep. There is a smaller tub in the making above it. Both are fed by a nice waterfall. As the story goes is that the water is so cold that the devil goes there to cool off, so I might have just missed him on Sunday (more on that). 




After hiking the two miles back I decided to make a quick stop at Stoney Creek Park. 





Before becoming a park in late 2020 it was Carters on the Creek. The park provides parking for the Devil's Bathtub and is also free. Now it is 0.85-mile just to the trail information kiosk and a half-mile of road walk. But, if it is crowded and you don't have a high clearance vehicle it is a good place to park. Also, the park has a vault toilet, picnic table, and swimming access to Stoney Creek. 

Was Carters on the Creek but now Stoney Creek Park

Now free parking, but a walk is involved




While this was the main highlight of the trip to Southwest Virginia I did enjoy time at the Cabin but I first had to survive the heat on Sunday. Mowing on this day was the hottest this season and easily one on the all-time list. There was plenty of late summer wildflowers and it did cool off Monday, but it came with rain which it was still doing until I departed...








No comments:

Post a Comment