Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Bear Theft Chair...An Ode To My Crazy Creek

Well, I don't know if what happened to my Crazy Creek Portable Chair was a highlight or a lowlight, but it was one of the more memorable moments of my backpack at Rocky Fork State Park

Since this is a blog in honor of my good old Crazy Creek Chair let me just talk a little about it. I acquired one back in the Summer of 2016 after I saw Will's (Skelton) on my first backpack out with the Sierra Club at Mount Rogers. I liked it so much I got one of my very own from REI. It had served me well on many backpacks, including five this year. While it served as a chair most of the time it did have to pull double duty. It has filled in as a sleeping pad, I have used it to protect my sleeping pad, served as a place to put my food, as a doormat for my tent, plus I rolled my tent poles in it and there is probably something else I am not thinking about. After five years it still performed its duties with no problems. 

My chair: 1st time out in 2016 (L), 2017 (TL), 2020 (TR & B)

With that said, I started out my backpack to the Blockstand Backcountry Campsite last Friday. This hike was no different than any other. Since I was taking my Kelty Salaita 2 it came along. When I got to camp I put up my tent, put my sleeping stuff in it. When I decided to go on my day hike I decided to put my backpack in the bear box along with my food bag. The reason bears sometimes equate backpacks with food, but I left my chair out like I had many times before. 

Under the log is the last time I saw my Crazy Creek (T). I should have put it in the box (B)

On my hike, I saw plenty of bear sign, including some really good bear tracks. So, when I got back and started getting my camp ready something was missing...my Crazy Creek Chair! So what happened to it? Well, really there are only two candidates for stealing my chair. The first would be another human. First I didn't pass or see anyone else up on the Blockstand Creek Trail. When I talked with Ranger Joe on my way out he agreed because the only people in this area are ones camping at Blockstand. Also, I had items in my tent that is more valuable than my Crazy Creek Chair. 

This was all at camp

So, that leaves a bear. I know they are in the area and then when looking for my chair I noticed a yellow jacket nest that had been dug up not too far from my camp. Then talk with Ranger Joe I mentioned where I keep my chair. I hooked it to the outside bottom,m of my bag which means I sweat on it. He said that they are attached to the salt so he agreed it was most likely a bear. Well, I forgot it could have been a Squatch...but Wood Boogers don't do that to each other. 

That is where a carried it

Suspect #1

Anyway, while Pete got a good laugh I was sad because it was such a great chair...you will be missed. So, if you go to Rocky Fork and see a bear lounging in a chair, tell him the Wood Booger says hi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment