Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Camping in the Mt. Rogers NRA, I Could Die In Peace...Except For The Lummox!


Hey schmucks, this is a special Big Ass edition of Down the Rabbit Hole! What is the dream of THE Hiking Machine? It is spending three days and two nights hiking, camping, and generally just crushing trail. I did just that at the Mount Rogers NRA (National Recreation Area)...I could die except for one thing, the Lummox! On day one we started at Grayson Highland State Park. Then up to Massie Gap, on to the AT (Appalachian Trail). Then I carried the Lummox up Wilson Ridge through the Fatman Squeeze. I wanted to camp here but the Lummox was afraid of getting cold and bears. 


So, we camped at Rhododendron Gap with its bear box...but it was right off the AT...while I had to run off those fly crested ponies it was not bad. Oh, I had my tent so I didn't have to sleep in that nylon coffin he calls a tent. 

The next day it was time to shred the Crest Trail all the way to the Scales. The best part of this campsite was those damn ponies couldn't get in! Finally, today I got to hear the Lummox boast about fleeing great on the flat Scales Trail and seeing that come crashing down when we hit the AT. After carrying him two miles uphill it was another 0.8 to the Backpack Parking Lot. While I had to deal with the Lummox and ponies but it was worth it...HELL YEAH! So, it is that time, because I am out BITCHES!


No comments:

Post a Comment