Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Camping, Stolen Chair & TN Best State Park Makes For Labor Day Weekend At Rocky Fork


It is no secret...I love Rocky Fork, State Park. It's a place one can't tire of I mean I had been here three times during the summer including one camping trip. So, when I needed a place to just get out and enjoy some nice early autumn weather away from the crowds and I thought of Rocky Fork, specifically Blockstand Creek Backcountry Campsite (BCS) The reason I chose it is that it is the most remote and is a single-use site. Also, I decided to go out on Friday to avoid the Labor Day Weekend crowds. Last year it was ridiculous the mob of people at Mount Rogers National Recreation Area (NRA). 

Labor Day Weekend 2020 at Mt. Rogers NRA

Three prior trips in 2021 to Rocky Fork

So, I made my way to this beautiful place. The hike isn't an easy one. The first part of the hike is the same as the one to Flint Creek BCS that I used back in July. However, I wasn't even halfway because that is when I reached the junction for the Blockstand Creek Access Trail. I have to give a shout-out to Ranger Joe. I discovered on the Flint Creek Trail that I had dropped my trusty water bottle Big Orange. But when I thought I would have to backtrack here come Ranger Joe with Big Orange!

Heading to Rocky Fork

The Blue Hole




Friday parking lot




The Big Rock...

...two of the cascades




Flint Creek Trail

Big Orange, Pete & my chair from Max Patch

Where I discover Big Orange was missing



The Park Rangers at work




This was at one time part of the Snake Den Ridge Trail before becoming the Orange blazed trail. It clocks in just under a mile but is a steep climb all the way.  Luckily when you get to the trail's terminus at the Blockstand Creek Trail you head right (not the direction of the sign) it flattens out. This 0.7-mile stretch will take you past the camp's water source about halfway. It isn't too long before you see the sign for the campsite on the right. 

Going up the Blockstand Creek Access Trail



At the Blockstand Creek Trail...go right, opposite the sign


The water source

Made it!

Like Flint Creek Blockstand has a tent pad, fire pit, and most importantly a bear box (more on that later). But, one thing it lacked was a privy. The other thing you will feel is this is far more remote than Flint Creek or Headwaters BCS. After getting my tent up I went to get water and do a day hike down the Blockstand Creek Trail. This hike took me out of the state park and into the Cherokee National Forest. I hiked this almost to where it runs into the Blockstand Creek Route, but I just didn't want to get my feet wet, so I turned back at the creek. 

The campsite


Out on my day hike...

...about to exit the state Park

My turnaround spot

It was on this stretch that I found something that would have an impact on my evening, bear tracks (some of the best I have ever found). While I will talk about this more in my next blog, but someone stole my Crazy creek chair and I think it was a bear. I am grateful that I put my backpack with my food in the bear box and he didn't tare up my tent. So I fixed dinner and then enjoyed a nice fire...oh, and that night a did sleep great.

This bear might have a chair


While my chair is gone...

...I still enjoy my fire

Our tents...

...but I brought Pete inside (he wasn't happy)

The next morning it was breakfast, packing up, and hiking back. It was downhill most of the way back and I was glad of that. One thing that had changed was the number. While the first half of my hike back I saw no one on the back half (starting at the Flint Creek Campsite) I passed plenty. It is what I expected, but at least there were plenty of dogs. Anyway, I finally made it back to the parking area and that brought an end to another outing at Rocky Fork State Park.

Sunrise over camp

Breaking down camp










It was crowded when I left


1 comment: