Friday, August 19, 2022

Over And Above The Wilderness In Unaka's Green Shadow


This past weekend I got to enjoy two of my favorite spots. Camping at Rock Creek Recreation Area and a visit to the Beauty Spot near Erwin. However,  I got to enjoy both with a new perspective from above with my drone.


Pete was right I did get a lot of drone photos and not just at Beauty Spot but I also got some over Rock Creek and even got pics of Saturday's Sunset. It was cool to see this excellent campground from a different perspective. 



Some sites around Rock Creek Recreation Area

Up goes the drone over campsite...

...& view of Unaka Mountain Wilderness.

Sundown Saturday Night!

Still, the main event was Sunday with a trip to the Appalachian Trail (AT) and the Beauty Spot. I first flew it from my 2020 campsite near the top of the Bald (on the summit there was a religious gathering). I got some excellent shots, even with clouds touching the tops of the highest peaks...including Unaka Mountain. 

Above Beauty Spot looking east towards Unaka Mountain.

Both ends of the bald.

Looking west...

;;;south...

...north.

My second launch site was on Unaka Mountain Road (old AT) just past where the trail touches the road. It was here I got great pictures of Unaka Mountain, again, and where I had been...the Beauty Spot. As I was getting ready to bring the drone down it caught the attention of a hawk. When he took a swoop at it I hit sport mode and got it down.

Launching from Unaka Mtn. Road (old AT).

Panoramic looking east, south & west.

Don't forget the north view

Drone (left) & angry Hawk (right).

It wasn't only from above that I made some observations. One jarring one was the difference between my last trip in Winter versus this one in Summer. Back in February, it was white but Sunday it was draped in green...the difference is amazing.

Beauty Spot: Winter (left) & Summer (right)...

Unaka Mountain Road: Winter (left) & Summer (right)


Running the drone was a highlight but just camping was number one. Link to more photos below......



Photos: SmugMug




No comments:

Post a Comment