Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Celebrating Lester Being Lester

 Unfourtanly I usually do one of these blogs when a friend passes as was the case in October with Bax. However, this time I decided to celebrate Lester while the old feller is still with us. Lester had been coughing when he got excited. While serious we were hoping it was something like tracheal collapse (which is the most common diagnosis). This is what he was initially believed to be afflicted with. However, a few days after going to the vet he coughed up blood, so he went back and unfortunately, it wasn't good...Lester has lung cancer.  But Lester is a fighter because back in September Lester had to have emergency surgery to have his spleen removed. The Vet didn't give much of a chance, maybe six weeks or so. Well, that was nine months ago. That is why I'm writing this now because I don't know how long Lester will be with us. See, unlike Bax, I haven't written a lot about the old boy. I don't have any cute videos of him playing with some chew toys because they're not his thing. I have no clips of Lester telling me he wants to hike, that wasn't him. I don't have a lot of pictures of him because he hates getting his picture taken. Forget the camera, Lester will either turn away or even growl. He even knows when you are using the phone. No, as I like to say "Lester being Lester." 

Lester being Lester

I remember when Dad and Terry brought him home he was terrified of me. I always said someone who was my doppelganger must have been mean to him. I jokingly referred to myself as the Blanco Diablo. It took years (and lots of food) before he warmed up to and eventually liked me. I was patient with him because he has anxiety and I know a lot about that. Lester has to be the most unique dog I have ever known. Just recently Dad and Terry converted the backroom to a bedroom and moved the couch Letser slept on. Guess what Lester doesn't want anything to do with the couch or room. He now sleeps in the old den...he doesn't like change. But this  is "Lester being Lester." While he seems standoffish, when he excepts you he loves to sit on you and be petted...that's "Lester being Lester." So, I'm not focusing on the now with Lester and not on how much time he has left. That's what I want to celebrate "Lester being Lester!"

Lester's couch at the Cabin

(T) The couch he once loved & (B) The Blanco Diablo & Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment