Friday, May 5, 2023

It Wasn't All Work On Backpack To AT CMC Section


This past week, I made my second visit to the Appalachian Trail (AT) section I oversee.
Running from Round Knob Road Connector to Big Butt I wrote of my first visit as caretaker with Paul of the Carolina Mountain Club (CMC) back in late March to service the privy Because of time constraints, we only reached Jerry Cabin Shelter, which is just a third of the three-mile section. 

Late March trip

The section hasn't had a maintainer since early last year, and that is partly because it isn't easy to get to. When Paul and I came to Jerry Cabin, it was via Jones Meadow, which is four miles. In the past, I have come up from Round Knob Recreation Area, which is three miles from the shelter. However, back in February, I attempted to go up to Round Knob, and the road was closed. I checked the Cherokee National Forest web page and also called the Unaka Ranger Office, and both said the road was open.
So, on the last Monday of April, I had a dentist appointment, but after it, I headed towards Greeneville to head up to Round Bald. I must report the road wasn't closed and better than that extensive work had been done... including rock work, drainage, and new gravel!

(T) The closed road from February...(M&B) The road was open!

This was a relief as I planned to do an overnight, and the road to Jones Meadow was really bad in March, so this just was a win. Like I said, I was doing a backpack to the shelter and then staying the night before covering the other two miles. I just wasn't carrying my backpack. I was also bringing a new leaf rake, hazel hoe, and other tools. Because of this, I brought my backup pack, which wasn't the best fitting. Oh, and because the bear cables are down, I was also carrying the bear barrel. It was the most weight since I got back into backpacking in 2016 (probably even heavier). That made the two miles from Round Knob to the AT thru-hiking, and it was a relief to see those white blazes.

Besides road work new Round Knob signage...

The trail up to the AT

From here, there were some ups and downs on the mile to the shelter. Thru-Hiking Season was just picking up in our area back in late March, but on this visit, the Hiker Bubble was rolling right over my shelter. It wasn't crowded when I got there, but before long, there were tents everywhere, and the shelter was full (thankful that the family of 16 hadn't reached here yet). Because it was cold, there was a fire in the pit and the fireplace in the shelter. I met some really cool thru-hikers and it was fun swapping stories.

On the ridgeline of the AT to...

...Jerry Cabin Shelter

The next day, I loaded up for my inspection day. As is normally the case, the pack seemed heavier today as it made the uphill to the Coldsprings (Russ's) Meadow all the tougher. I did notice a very presently cut blowdown. I would come to find out later a CMC Crew was on my section clearing with a chainsaw, good job guys! 

Heading out on the AT & past a CMC cut tree

When I stopped for a break and some assisted photos near the Sarvis Cove Trail, I trail sign that had been placed there (it wasn't there a year-and-a-half ago) was on the ground. Plus, one that had been placed at the junction with the AT was pushed back. I stabilized the AT one, and while I don't think it's my responsibility, I put it back up, but it needs to reinforce. Oh, I went on a hunt for water, but no luck.


Coldsprings Mountain Meadow (I call it my (Russ's) Meadow


Signs I worked on

I will say I was tired of carrying the big pack, so I left it behind for the final mile-and-a-half round trip to Big Butt. Since I had done it a few times (the last being in 2019), I knew it was tougher going than coming back. I did a little water diversion, and at Big Butt removed a small blowdown that was mentioned on FarOut. Reaching here completed my scouting trip across my section. 

(T) Commandment Rock & Howard Bassett Memorial plus shots of the AT

The end of my section...Big Butt


Once back at the pack, I moved to my campsite for lunch. After that, that pack of mine just seemed to get heavier, and I still had a bag of trash to collect at the shelter. Because of this, the one hiking stick I had been using in concert with my hazel hoe now joined the other. The hike back would have trash in one hand and Hazel hoe in the other...not fun. I will say that by the time I reached the junction for Round Knob, I was gassed, and I still had two miles to go.

Heading back...

...to My Meadow

Back at Jerry Cabin Shelter

My last AT-mile

On the way back, I was surprised to run into a nice old local couple. That broke up the hike a little, thankfully. I still had to stop a few times as it was steeper than I remembered coming up. Not having either hiking stick didn't help, but finally, I reached Round Knob. It actually was a great overnight, but I think I may camp here, at Round Knob, and then day hike in the future.

(A) The final two miles to Round Knob...(B) Some final vistas


No comments:

Post a Comment