Sunday, June 25, 2023

It's June & That Means A Trip To The Roans

What has become an annual event in June, I head up to the Roan Highlands to take in the beautiful blooms of the Catawba Rhododendrons.

Head up to Roan Mountain.

It's always a crap shoot of when the blooms will be at peak. I talked more about it here, but the Rhododendrons aren't the only reason to head up to the Gardens and the old Cloudland Hotel site. I last was up here in the white of winter, and either time of the year, it's just a beautiful place. I will just add how much different it is, and it is more than just the lower number of people. It's just so quiet in winter. Oh, and another thing, it was so much hazier (wildfires aren't helping) in summer. Just like back in January, I sent the drone up with a bird's eye view of the Roans. I even flew it over the Highest Shelter on the Appalachian Trail (AT), Roan High Knob. 

(T) Winter & (B) Summer

Winter & Summer at the Roan Rhododendron Gardens.

One more look at the differences between January & this trip.

Looking back at the Cloudland Hotel Site.

Roan Highlands vista & notice the rust-colored roof...Roan High Knob Shelter.

Unlike this past winter, I did head up to the Balds from Carvers Gap. Some new additions on the mountain included first some boot cleaners to help with spreading invasive species. The second was on the summit of Round Bald. Puncheons had been installed on both sides for when it gets sloppy and cut down on wear. At the end of each were information signs with points of interest in Tennessee and North Carolina. 

Carvers Gap

Rhododendrons, AT & the new boot cleaning station.

The trail to Round Bald &...

...new Puncheons & information boards.

Headed through Engine Gap.

On this trip, I went only as far as Jane Bald. At some point, I did a few more "assisted" photographs.

Jane Bald Big Rock Vista

I have a quest at my campsite.

Roan Highlands

Looking into NC.

Jane & Grassy Ridge Balds.

Looking into Tennessee.

Round Bald & Roan High Knob.

Back to Carvers Gap.

To the chagrin of Pete, I decided to camp at the campground at Roan Mountain State Park (RMSP). I have wanted to for some time, and I'm glad I did. It's a really great campground with nice bathrooms and water at my site. I will be staying here again, that you can beat on. 

Campsite #26...

...& the nighttime glow.

It was a pancake mornng.

I wanted to hike on Friday, but it was not too hard. So, it was decided on the Peg Leg Loop Trail. As Pete said, it was a different configuration from when I thought of doing it a few years ago. They had merged the Peg Leg with the Cloudland Trail, so it tripled in size. Still, it was a nice hike and a great way to end two days in the Roans.

(T) The Owls & Snakes of RMSP, (B) Peg Leg Mine Loop hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment