Thursday, June 22, 2023

Weed Eating Is Just One Task (Raking Privy) As Summer Comes To The AT


It's June and that means the thru-hiker bubble has passed, but that doesn't mean an AT (Appalachian Trail) Maintener's job is done. So, over a fortnight ago I headed up to my section of the AT to do some post-thru-hikers, summer maintenance. 


I didn't do an overnight because one of the tasks involved weeding and I had to carry a tool for the job two miles just to reach the start of my section. Well, it turns out that the weedeater I took wasn't close to doing the job. Plus I had three miles to do and that was a little much for just me, so I asked Paul at the Carolina Mountain Club (CMC) for help, so another trip is coming soon. 

Heading to the AT

The difference in the trail...

...in just over a month is amazing!

That did mean I didn't get anything done. I was able to get weed-eating done around Jerry Cabin Shelter and around the water plus the privy. Speaking of the privy I had another job to complete in regards to it and that is raking the privy. Yes, it is how it sounds, you take off the cover closest to the drop zone and then use a long rake to pull the waste into the uncovered section. Yes, it is as disgusting as it sounds. It was like a fudge that smelled terrible and the flies, I have never seen this many and they were all big ones. Once finished then cover with leaves and put the lid back on. I should have raked it in April it's a mistake I won't make again. 

Just some of the work at Jerry Cabin

Because of all the work I did around the shelter I didn't have the time or energy to go the other two miles of the three-mile section. I also had a full bag of trash to haul out. However, on the way back I did get to weed-eat some, mostly just cutting back stinging nettle and poison ivy. While the maintenance work ended when I reached the Round Knob Road Connector, I still had some additional trash duty along the way.  Once back at Round Knob, I sent the drone up for a few shots. It gave me a good look at the smoke from the Canadian Wildfires as it had obscured Greeneville 10 miles away.

Like I said I did get some weed eating done on the way back.

Leaving the AT & heading back I picked up trash on the way back & at Round Knob

(T) The view from February & June... (B) The view of where I was...


No comments:

Post a Comment