Friday, September 19, 2014

A Jewel Hidden In Plain Sight - Cane Creek Falls



The second half of my Wednesday in Dahlonega, which I also did a quick blog of, was a return to see what I consider one of Georgia’s top-five waterfalls, Cane Creek Falls.

Cane Creek Falls.

My first visit was about a year-ago last October. The first time I heard about the waterfall was on the PBS show Georgia Outdoors, more precisely the episode Crashing Water (check out the episode here) which was about some of the finest falls in the Peach State. It is also featured in a favorite book of mine North Georgia Mountains Pocket Companion by Brian A. Boyd.

Book that features the falls.

Sign off GA 60.

Sign that welcomes you.

One of the unusually features of Cane Creek Falls is its location. It is not up in the Chattahoochee National Forest, but on the grounds of Glisson Camp and Retreat Center or Camp Glisson for short. The camp and waterfall are only five minutes from downtown Dahlonega. For part of the year Camp Glisson is what its name says a summer youth camp, run by the United Methodist Church. This does mean that from May-to-August, when campers are there, that the waterfall is closed to the public.
In September it is opened back-up and since I need a day out to test my car I decided to go to Lake Zwerner and then drive over to Camp Glisson and hike down to the falls.


Welcome center where you need to sign in before heading to the falls.

Monument to founders of the camp.


Information sign.

Start of the trail back in October.

Headed down the trail.

One of the camper cabins.


Yes, there is a small (not well maintained) trail which takes you down to a junction and heading left leads one down to the top of Cane Creek Falls. There might not be a better view of the top of a waterfall that is as safe as this one. There is a overlook here with a fabulous view which connects to a footbridge that leads to the road. Here one has to hike the road down to the area at the base of the falls.


Junction left goes to the falls overlook.


The overlook at the Top of the Falls.


Looking over the falls down to the footbridge at the base.




Top of the Falls...

...taken with my xshot.

Stairs up from the overlook.

On the other side of this building is the path to the base of the falls.

It is here where I need to mention that you don’t have to hike to the falls. There is a large parking area that is connected to the path that leads to the base of the cascade. So if hiking isn’t your thing you can park and stroll out to the base of the falls. There not many waterfalls this nice that has such easy access. It is even easier to get to than Toccoa Falls.


Sign to the base from October.
 
Yes from the parking area the falls are that close!
 
A wonderful setting.



When you first see the falls if you are like me there is no way you can’t be impressed (even the 2nd time). There is a footbridge across Cane Creek that gives you a great panorama of the falls. I think last October the water-flow was slightly better, but it was still great today.To the left or right of the bridge are paths that lead to a closer look of the cascade. You can view from the creek bottom and rocky outcrop or if you want to get your feet wet wade over to the sandbar. I have to say there are not many waterfalls I like better it is just a beautiful setting. It was here that I got a chance to try something. I took my trekking pole pushed it into the ground and put my GorillaPod, with camera attached, on top and it worked.


The footbridge, from where I am standing I went left.

The falls from Wednesday...

...& last October, the water-flow was a little higher.

Another shot from October.



Falls from Wednesday.




Top of the Falls & the overlook.

The big rock formation is like a little tub.

Took this photo with my trekking poles...


...& that green ti-pod know as a GorillaPod.

For those who hiked in if you took the left path down to the base of the falls there will be a trail to your left near the old log. This will lead you to an old wooden stair case that is green blazed. This starts a 40-foot climb where you are level with the falls. A couple of hundred yards down the trail will be a side path to the right that leads to an even closer view of the Top of the Falls. Now this spot is not a viewing deck, you can latterly reach out and touch the falls, so if you go to this spot be careful. It gave me a chance to use my xshot, a telescopic pole which attaches to my camera for selfies, to get an even better shot over the falls. I first did this at the viewing deck across the way, but since I was closer to the water it worked even better here.


The steps up the green blazed trail.

The rail is there because the falls are to the right.

The other side of the Top of the Falls...

...took this with the xshot.





The overlook, from where I am standing there is no rail.

Back to the footbridge from above.

Looking up Cane Creek before the falls...

...where the creeks heads toward the drop.

After enjoy the falls one last time it was to the footbridge that cross the creek at the junction I mentioned earlier. After that you take the trail back up to the parking lot. So, if you want to see one of Georgia’s best waterfalls that require little effort then Cane Creek Falls is the place. Remember to sign in at the visitor center.


This is the first time I am using my new waterfall grading system. I will be writing a blog that will cover waterfalls that I have already blogged about. I will put what the grades are and then what I rated this waterfall. I will use percentage points in this guide.
Waterfall Rating
5 Stars– Amazing, not to be missed, GO NOW!
4 Stars – Excellent, well worth the effort
3 Stars – Average to above average, if you are in the area
2 Stars – Small, so in high water flow or winter will make it special  
1 Stars – More like a cascade (under 8 feet), without high water flow you might miss it.
Cane Creek Falls: Rating – 4.7 Stars

Trail Rating


My Take:
For Difficulty - 2 Stars
For Trail Conditions – 2 Stars
For Views – 5 Stars
For Solitude – 2 Stars
Overall – As I pointed out the trail loop is about a mile. The hardest spot is the stairs up from the base. Trail conditions are spotty, the stairs could use some work, but it is a private youth camp. You know my feelings about the views (see above). When I was here in October there was only one other family and Wednesday Pete & I was the only one viewing the falls, which was cool.

Pete’s Take :
For Difficulty – 2 Rabbits Paws
For Trail Conditions – 3 Rabbits Paws
For Views – 4 Rabbits Paws
For Solitude – 2 Rabbits Paws
Overall – This trail wasn't hard, except for carrying the dead weight of the Lummox up those stairs. I thought the trail conditions were fine. As waterfalls go this one is pretty impressive. Yeah, last October I had to put up with kids, but this last outing there was no one else...that was GREAT! I can't imagine what summer here would be like, yes I do it would be like that move Hellraiser!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment