Sunday, September 14, 2014

Trail Ratings From Pete & The Wood Booger - Part One




This Wood Booger has been on a lot of hikes and I have written about a number of these day hikes in these very pages. I have talked about a number these hikes, but one of the things I haven’t done is rate them. I have a number of books that do this very thing with hikes. One of my favorites is the most recent book I picked up Five Star Trails: Tri-Cities of Tennessee & Virginia by Johnny Molloy. In his book he likes many others
The Wood Booger
He loves Hog Pen & hates the Easter Bunny
rate hikes but his is on a five star system, while others just say if it is easy, moderate or difficult.
So, I have decided with the help of my hiking partner, oh you didn’t
know I had one. While I have had a number of people go on hikes with me only one person or I should say rabbit has gone on all my hikes and that is Pete the Hiking Rabbit. While Pete might look like an Easter Bunny (while Pete hates him, he hates kids even more) he is my constant hiking companion. Anyway, with that said I decided to add a hike rating to the day hike or any hikes I do. Oh, future hikes, after this blog, will have a rating added.
So, what about my past day hikes, well I will be writing a future blog, Part Two, which will rate all of those I have chronicled. That is better than updating them all (but Part Two it is taking longer than I thought it would).  Anyway, I will go in order on when they appeared on these vary pages. I have mentioned above about Molloy's book and the ratings will be similar, but there will be an added part Pete’s Take.

Two books that influenced our rating guide.


Our Ratings
For Difficulty
5 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Even Pete Thinks It’s Grueling
4 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Strenuous, where Pete says he has to carry me
3 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Moderate
2 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Not To Hard
1 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Easy, but Pete says it is a waste of time
For Trail Conditions
5 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Greatly Maintained
4 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Well Maintained
3 Stars or Rabbits Paws – An Average Maintained Trail
2 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Inconsistent (& might have gullies)
1 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Bushwhacking Time.
For Views
5 Stars or Rabbits Paws  – Incredible Panoramic Vistas
4 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Great Vistas
3 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Excellent Views
2 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Just Regular Views
1 Stars or Rabbits Paws – No Real Vistas
For Solitude
5 Stars or Rabbits Paws – No Body For Miles
4 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Isolated But Someone Might Stroll Through
3 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Secluded At Non-Peak Times
2 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Crowded On Weekends Or In Season
1 Stars or Rabbits Paws – Might As Well Be A Hiker Highway

No comments:

Post a Comment