Thursday, September 25, 2014

Photo Blog: More Wonders At Woody Gap

I did a quick blog for this, but now I am going to do a photo blog of Deb and I's day out on the Appalachian Trail (AT) at Woody Gap and Big Cedar Mountain. I must say that when I was at the Big Cedar Mountain outcrop I had an incident. As was seen here from last week, I had a run in with a copperhead. Well, Saturday I went over to take a couple of pictures from this rock and well after about a minute I heard the tell-tell sounds of a rattle. Not a baby's rattle, but that of a Timber Rattlesnake. I bet I jump 10 feet off that rock. I never caught sight of it, but from the sound of the rattle it was too close for comfort. Well, with that said here is a photo blog of our day out.


The AT info board at Woody Gap...

...up close.

The Woody Gap AT rock...

...& Deb.

Deb with the Woody Gap sign.

A patch of Jewelweed.

Pete & I with the Blood Mountain Wilderness sign.

Woody Gap sign.

Mushroom.

That tree is cool.

A Fading Scarlet Waxy Cap.

The trail at Lunsford Gap.

Headed up Big Cedar Mountain.

My favorite "evil" tree.

At the first rock outcrop.

At the second outcrop.

Preaching Rock...

...on Big Cedar Mountain...

...it is easy to see why it is so popular.

A called these the Three Sisters (after the winery & mountain).

Deb trucking along.

Trail splits the tree.

This photo just oozes AT.

Camping area at the summit of Big Cedar Mountain.

The junction to the blue blazed trail that leads to...

...the Big Cedar Mountain outcrop...

...this outcrop had a fire ring...

...it was here that I almost got it from a rattlesnake.

The Captain Morgan tree...it also looks like and h.

Deb at the Captain Morgan tree.

Mushroom looks like it is glowing.

Summit of Big Cedar Mountain.

Deb & the majesty of the forest.

Deb on the trail.

Headed back to...

...Preaching Rock.

Deb on the left...

...& I am on the right.

Panorama from Preaching Rock.
Cowrock & Wildcat Mountains.

Yonah & the North Georgia Mountains.

The second outcrop on Big Cedar Mountain...

...& the first.

Pete the white blaze & I.

Back at Lunsford Gap...

...this side trail leads out to...

...a camping spot.

Sun in the trees.

The AT winds toward Woody Gap.

White blaze looks like a ghost.

We are exiting scared land.

Deb with the Woody Gap sign.

Jewelweed.

The Woody Gap AT rock.

Vista from Woody Gap.

It was a busy day at Woody Gap.

Finished the day at the Chestatee Overlook.

Because the foliage was blocking the view I took this photo of Blood Mountain was with help from my xshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment