Friday, September 12, 2014

1,100 Bottles Beer On The Blog




Recently I just passed the 1,100 mark for the number of different beers I have had. The beer that has this honor was the Great Lakes Brewing Company’s Eliot Ness Amber Larger. It was a very good beer that I gave a four-out-of-five on my Beer Advocate page rating guide. With this milestone it makes myself look back on a more special beer that I had just less than a year-ago when I passed the 1,000th different beer mark. The beer that marked this achievement was the Oatmeal Yeti by Great Divide Brewing Company. It scored slightly higher with a 4.75 than the 1,100 beer. My friends at Uncorked Candles (like them on Facebook) made me a candle out of my 1000th bottle, which was awesome.


Number 1,110.

1,000!

The candle made out of my 1,000th bottle.

Now let me say that the list I have on Beer Advocate is a rough estimate. It actually might be slightly more than less. Anyway, I started the list back in 2012 and have been cataloging my beers ever since. On the site beers are ranked 1-to-5 with percentage points. As of today, surprisingly out of 1,103 beers only five has received a rating of five. Of those beers three are from the aforementioned Great Divide Brewing. These are all of the Yeti family, which are stouts; they are Oak Aged Yeti, Chocolate Yeti and the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. The other two are from my personal favorite brewery and that is Oskar Blues, which like Great Divide started in Colorado, but now has a brewery in Brevard, NC (which I have visited twice). Anyway one of these beers I had at the Oskar Brewpub, the Taste Weasel, it was the Coconut Vanilla Fidy and one of my regular favorites (which means I can get in cans) is the Ten Fidy Imperial Stout. On the other end of the scale is a dozen beers with the distinction of getting a one (some would be lower than that but you can’t). While I will not list them all, non-alcohol and “rice beers” dominate the list.


Growler of a 5...Oskar's Ten Fidy.

Whole pallet of Ten Fidy.

Oskar's brewpub in Brevard, NC

The board advertising...

...Coconut Vanilla Fidy.
 
One of beers at the bottom, trust me "It's the Water."

The list lets one track the number of states, countries and brewers that one has sampled. At the moment I stand at 43 states and 57 countries. The number of different brewers is 309. I also keep track of the number of brewers in each state that I have had. The top five states in the number of brewers are as follows: (1.) North Carolina – 25; (2T) California & Georgia – 20; (4.) Colorado – 14; (5T) Pennsylvania & Tennessee – 9. 


Two great beers a 4.5 & 4.75.

One feature just added to the site is it marks the beers from each brewer one has had and the number. This comes in handy if one is not sure if they have tried a specific beer. Also, it tracks the styles one has had, the site, if you enjoy beer, it is a good way to keep up with what you had. Before I am done a really good site for keeping up with what beers are coming down the pike is the Beer Street Journal. I remember last year it is where I first heard of the Warlock, the darker cousin of the Pumking, from Southern Tier Brewing out of New York. From those who don't know the Pumking is the "King" of pumpkin beers and the Warlock is almost as good. Anyway Beer Street Journal allowed me to be on the lookout for it and many others. So, if you like beer (like I do) these sites are more than worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment