Sunday, January 25, 2015

Day Three: Navy Lodge Nature Trail, Planes & Bald Eagles



Our third day in Jacksonville we took it easy. My Dad's surgery was the next day so we decided to stay closer to the Navy Base. After breakfast we I had the idea to hike the Nature Trail at the Navy Lodge. Last year Deb and I went to Stone Mountain for a hike on MLK (Martin Luther King) Day. So, what better way to commemorate the day than going out again. Anyway, Deb, Dad and I took off for the trail. It was part dirt path and part boardwalk. The highlight was the split that lead to an overlook with a wonderful view of the St. John's River. It was a beautiful spot and it gave me the idea to come here before I leave to see the sun come up. We spotted a number of birds including three Great Blue Herons (they were nesting nearby), a Anhiga, but the highlight was two Bald Eagles which soared overhead.

The sign for...

...the Navy Lodge.

Trailhead for the Nature Trail.

There was still had leaves.

The overlook at the St. John's River.

We didn't get to see any Manatees.

River vista.

Base water towers

Ducks.

Looking south toward...

...the I-295 bridge.

At the overlook...

...Deb too.

Deb &...

...I with the sea-grass.

Two Gillenwaters.

Sun on the river.

Heron takes off.

Bald Eagle.

Passenger jet.

Another panorama.

Great Blue Heron...

...& Anhinga, also known as a water turkey.

After a good bit of time we headed back to the trail which came out at the RV area near the Navy Lodge. So, it was back the way we came.

Boardwalk trail.

Deb & Dad on the trail.

More boardwalk.

More trees with leaves.

Sunshine.

Dad on the dirt trail.

After getting back to the trailhead we decided to stroll up the sidewalk and down to the water's edge. We saw more beautiful scenery, some squirrels and in the end we hike about 1.25 miles, which wasn't bad at all.

One of the large trees.

There were plenty of squirrels.

It wildflower season...

...year-round in Florida.

Palm tree at the St. John River.

More of the panorama...

...it is beautiful.

I-295 bridge.

Looking back at the overlook.

Remember it is a military base.



On our way back Deb spotted something across the way in a tree on the golf course. Perched on a branch was one of those Bald Eagles we spotted earlier. I knew I had to get a little closer so I walked through the golf course parking lot and got a better look at the tree and it was here that I realized there was not one, but two eagles. I had seen a Bald Eagle a couple of times in flight (I saw one on the way to Charleston back in October), but not like this and not this close. I will say that this was really cool; they were just perched up there looking around as people played golf below them. I guess it couldn't have been more fitting for the symbol of the United States to be at a Naval Air Station.


If you look close you can see...

...these beautiful...

...Bald Eagles.

Enjoying base life.

It is another kind of "bird."

We then decided to head over to the Navy Exchange and Commissary. Now I had called the day before to see if it would be open, since it was MLK Day, and I was told it was. We when got there the Commissary was open but the Exchange wasn't, well half of it was open (the half with the booze). It was still fun because I had been to any of these since I lived in Virginia Beach.

The Exchange & Commissary.

After some shopping we headed over to Patriot Park. It is a park full of old planes, and I could miss touring these.

Base sign & a H-3 Sea King.

F-14 Tomcat.

A-7 Corsair II.

EA-6B Prowler.

A-4 Skyhawk.

My favorite, the TBF Avenger...

...& the stone marker (all the planes had one).

S-2 Tracker.

UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopter.

The S-3 Viking had this...

...cool plaque.

Naval Aircraft Factory N3N in a glass gazebo.

PBY Catalina.

P-2 Neptune.

Deb with the Tomcat.

Deb & the Skull & Crossbones.

These planes use to fly over my elementary school.

With my favorite plane.

F-8 Crusader.

Patriot Park.

Some active aircraft.

We finished the day with dinner at Ted's Montana Grill.

Ted's.

No comments:

Post a Comment