Sunday, January 25, 2015

Day Five: Sunrise In Florida & Sunset In Dawsonville

It was the final day in Florida, since we had a long drive and wanted to get through Atlanta before rush hour we decided to leave early, so it was up before six. After breakfast I decided to head back down the Nature Trail to catch the sunrise. I had mentioned it before, when we hiked the Nature Trail that a sunrise here might be nice and I wasn't disappointed. The sunrise was just beautiful, Florida has some of the best where ever in the state you are.

The overlook as the sun comes up.

I-296 bridge...

...& the base water towers.

Boats at sunrise.

Anhinga in flight.

Plane with cool effect.

Here comes...

...the sun...

...as it rises...


...over the water.


Cool corona effect.

Bright orange.

Sunrise...

...over NAS Jax.

This sign was bathed in the sun's glow...

...& so was a Great Blue Heron.

Beautiful!

The overlook...

...in morning's glory.

Welcome the new day.

Before we left I called Terry to make sure Dad was doing well and if they needed anything. They gave us the OK so it was time to head back.

It is time to say good bye ...

...to NAS Jax.

We decided to head back a different way, this time we connected with I-10 which cuts through north Florida toward Lake City. I had never been this way either, the cool thing I discovered was that I-10 cuts through the Osceola National Forest. I might have to return here sometime for a little hiking and camping.

Headed on I-10...

...& through the Osceola National Forest.

Just past Lake City, I-10 intersects with I-75, and we took the ramp north. We finally said good bye to Florida and were back in Georgia, but we still had over two hours to get back to Atlanta. Anyway, on the way up we kept seeing the signs for the Magnolia Plantation. I remember these signs from days gone by, but had never stopped. Since we needed gas and as it was a Shell station I decided to stop. The price for the gas said $1.99, but it turns out the middle grade was $3.00 (where most places at the time it was just over $2). I didn't notice this discrepancy until I was already pumping the gas. I guess they are right when they say "a sucker is born ever minute," and this Wood Booger was one.

Back in Georgia...

...at the welcome center...

...we look happy to be back.

The I-75 Welcome Center has two buildings.

Good bye Spanish Moss.

RIP OFF!!!

One of the things Georgia is known for.

State Fair Grounds in Perry.

Moving on, we made it back to Atlanta around 2 pm which meant we beat the worst of the traffic. Our last stop was at Chipotle, because Deb had been jonesing for some. Overall, it was a great trip old forts, pirates and the ocean, but best of all we got to hangout with Dad and Terry and his surgery went well.

Jets can only mean we are back in...

...the ATL.

I guess some wonder if those Olympics was a good idea.

Our final destination...

...but before that we go through Buckhead...

...past the Chess Piece Buildings...

...& Chipotle.

No comments:

Post a Comment