Saturday, September 12, 2015

Jaemor Farms & The Host Make The Trip To Georgia Twice As Nice



This is the last blog in what looks like an ongoing series on my last days in Georgia. This one is about two of my favorite places and a recent addition on the trip from Georgia to Tennessee. The first place is one that I had passed a couple of times before stopping on our Thanksgiving trip of 2012. That place is Jaemor Farms. While it has been only three years it does seem I have been going here longer. Jaemor is a long open building where produce from the farm is sold plus other items. While there is a lot of produce the big three are peaches, apples and pumpkins. My favorite might be a spot at the back of the building where they sell fried pies. They have a variety of flavors ranging from blueberry to pecan, but my favorite is apple. The dry apple is good, but the fresh apple is even better. To go with the pie they sell some excellent apple cider and recently, for summer, started offering apple cider slushes...nice! Another favorite of mine are their apple cider donuts, these are one of my two favorite donuts (the other are the homemade donuts from Aunt Ruthie’s Home-made Donuts and Soft Pretzels). There are other buildings for large get together and even a barbaque stand (which is pretty good).










While I love Jaemor a place I have been going to even longer (by about two months) is the Smoky Mountain Host of North Carolina. This place is a privately owned stop that is part rest area and part visitor center. They sell a variety of items ranging from books, t-shirts, hats, books, jewelry and many other things. I bought my first raised relief map from here. One of my favorite things is the Tribal Coffee they have on sale for a dollar. While the bathrooms were nice they are a lot better since the recent renovations. This place is makes for a nice pit stop.









That brings me to the third and most recent favorite place to stop at Outdoor 76 in Franklin. It is an outdoor outfitters downtown. My reason for going here was to get a fitting for new hiking boots, back in July. I had heard that this place was one of the best for a fitting and they were right. I got nice a new pair of Salomon Ultra Trek GTX boots which are sweeeeet! Their store has plenty of hiking and camping gear with a tent room down stairs and a bike shop next door. However, the coolest part might be the bar in the back called Rock House Lodge. Well, it is not a bar, but a private club. I am not going into the difference, but they have a selection of over 10 craft beers. On my first trip there was a private party so no beer for me. But when I stopped Wednesday I got to be a gusset and had the Duck Rabbit Märzen which is their Octoberfest offering. I have had it in bottle before, but not on draft. This is a cool place to have a beer and is a reason to stop in Franklin.










No comments:

Post a Comment