Saturday, September 19, 2015

Fall Loop Hiking On Max Patch

I hadn't been getting out enough lately and neither has Deb. So I decided to take Deb to one of the Appalachian Trail (AT) showpieces and one of my favorites...Max Patch. This was my third visit to this wonderful bald that the U.S. Forest Service keeps mowed off ( that was going on today). I warned Deb before going that we had to drive up five miles of Forest Service Roads. While I have been on worse (see last week) it was still a surprise to her. Anyway we got there early enough that we got a good parking spot  (not in the main lot but just across the road). While I will go in more depth later, but our hike was on a combination of the Max Patch Loop Trail and the AT. The first half of the hike on the loop trail gave us some nice views of the mountain. The second half was southbound on the AT and took us over the summit of the mountain and its majestic views. Once we came out of the woods Deb said the vistas was worth the bumpy ride up. There were a lot of people there as always, but it is near impossible, on a clear day, to ruin the view. Oh, I almost forgot the wildflowers were spectacular all over Max Patch it was awesome.  Overall it was a great day on the mountain and I finished the day with a fire and an Oktoberfest beer from Yee-Haw Brewery...nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment