Thursday, May 19, 2016

From Roaring Forks To Porters Creek It Is A Mountain Laurel Hunt In The Smokies


Today I headed out on a Mountain Laurel Hunt and what better place than the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is mid-May and I hadn't seen any yet, I usually would have seen some in April. However, I found plenty of Mountain Laurel on my travels on the Roaring Forks Motor Nature Trail, the Porters Creek Trail in Greenbier section of the park, on the side of the road and on the foothills parkway.

Right at start of Roaring Forks MNT...

...some on the Porters Creek Trail...

...the best batch I found was off...

...US 321 near Cosby...

...finally some on the Foothills Parkway.

Oh, I also did some hiking. I did almost a mile around the cabins on the Roaring Forks Motor and then 7.65 miles on the Porters Creek Trail. I will write more on this hike soon but there was a old cementary, an historical farm and a waterfall, the 40-foot Fern Branch Falls. All-in-all a nice day of hiking and plenty of Mountain Laurel.

Noah "Bud" Ogle Cabin....

...Place of a Thousand Drips on the Roaring Forks MNT.

Start of the trail.

Old Cemetery.

John Messer Barn.

Big footbridge.

Fern Branch Falls.


No comments:

Post a Comment