Monday, October 24, 2016

It Seems Like Groundhog Day When It Comes To Blogs On Leave No Trace



Before I get to PhotoBlogs and things more pleasant, I have to get something off my chest...a rant! Leave No Trace...it is an ethic I live by, unfortunately, a lot of other people don't. This was self-evident this past week when I went to Charlies Bunion in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) and to haul out trash left by irresponsible people. It is not like I haven't experienced this kind of behavior before and I have even blogged about it in the past (herehere, here & here). OK, I was headed to an outcrop that overlooks Charlies Bunion (I call it Fodderstack) and after eating my lunch I went to take a photo and enjoy the view.

Where I was at...

Then what did I find? It wasn't just the "regular" trash like a plastic bottle or aluminum can, no it was half a sandwich. Luckily, I carry a plastic bag to put this in. But, that isn't all because when I looked to my right there was another sandwich, this time a whole one, the only saving grace, it was already in a plastic bag.I know on that day there were a fair number of yellow jackets flying around, just being a nuisance and the sandwich was peanut butter and jelly.

...when I found this.

However, that is no excuse for leaving the sandwiches behind and there are a couple important reasons why. The first is who else do you think loves PB&J, like yellow jackets...bears. So, besides the fact that the plastic bag could choke and kill a bear it also habitualize them and any other wildlife to human food. These are smart animals and it doesn't take them long to connect the dots between a sandwich and us.

Bears will forage for easy food...

...here is one eating a trash can...

...just remember this sign.

The end result is if you can't take the heat (like yellow jackets buzzing you) then stay out of the kitchen (the woods)! Anyway, after putting this in a trash bag I carry (yes, just for these occasions) looked to my left and surprisingly there was a banana peel. I know what some are going to say "that it is organic material and I am just recycling," well I will call Bull Shit and say it is more about laziness and here is the reason why.

Nuff said!

Before this ever turns into compost, which would take years, something will come along and eat it and there is a good chance it will be a bear. Guess what? They are going to connect this to humans because there are NO BANANA TREES in the Smokies! At the end of the day, it is because of this kind of behavior you have bear problems like at Spence Field. It also means that like Blood Mountain and the Shining Rock Wilderness, I think Bear Barrels are coming to the Smokies...soon. So, what is the moral to this story? It is simple if you pack it in then PACK YOUR SHIT OUT...PERIOD!

Remember this is where your trash goes!

Rant over, but look below for the Leave No Trace Principles.



No comments:

Post a Comment