Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Peak Of The Parkway Can Be Found At The Pisgah Inn


In the past, I have done plenty of restaurant reviews, but I have never done one combined with somewhere I have stayed, but that is what I am going to do on my visit to the Pisgah Inn. For those who don't this mountain, the inn is located right off the Blue Ridge Parkway at mile marker 408.6.

The mountain where the Inn gets its name.

Sitting in the shadow of its namesake Mount Pisgah, the original inn, named the Pisgah National Forest Inn, was built in 1918 and until it was replaced by the modern Pisgah Inn in 1964. The current owners, the O'Connell family took running the Inn in 1978.

Mt. Pisgah plan in 1959 (photo NPS via UNC).

The old Pisgah National Park Inn (photo Pisgah Inn).

As for the Pisgah Inn, it is designed like a motel but feels more like a lodge. Our room, while somewhat a throwback to the past, but was still really nice. I liked the wood floors and the bed was comfortable. Oh, and the room had a really nice shower.

The office...

...at Pisgah Inn...

...inside.

Deb on the patio of our room....

...the beds in our room...

...TV, desk...

...& shower.

However, the star of the show was the patio. It was so nice to sit outside and the view was just amazing...let me say again, amazing! One of the cool things about the Inn is that all 51 rooms face the mountain vista, oh let me say it...nice!

My favorite spot, the patio...

...our chairs...

...& me sitting in one...

...& the vista from it a sunset.

Enjoying the patio

Besides being able to enjoy the view from the room there are plenty of rocking chairs which guest and non-guest can enjoy (I have on times when I came through here). Oh, and next year there will be a new and improved observation deck at the main building that houses the restaurant and gift shop. Speaking of these the gift shop is very nice, but now is time for the restaurant review for this blog. I have thought of eating here In the past (you don't have to stay here to eat here), but because of time it just didn't happen.

The rug at the restaurant.

Let me first say that the interior is nice and has a definite lodge feel. What is best is the big window, for both dinner and breakfast we got a window seat and it is wonderful, it makes the meal better. As for the food, I went with the whole blackened trout (that was filleted at the table, but Deb wouldn't let me eat the head) and my sides were butternut squash and a pumpkin bisque. It is hard to mess trout, it was really good and so was the butternut, but the pumpkin bisque was amazing.

The waiting area...

...& the dining area.

Pumpkin Bisque.

Blackened Whole Trout & Butternut Squash.

I would be reminded to say that you could buy wine by the bottle or glass (the have a cooler with wine taps). They also had an excellent selection of local beers, so I went with an old favorite a Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Brewing out of Brevard. With finished the meal with some blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream and coffee.

The wine taps...

...but I went with beer.

Blackberry Cobble & Vanilla Ice Cream.

The next morning we went to enjoy our complimentary breakfast. Unlike other places I have been this was buffet style, here you ordered what you wanted from the menu. I went with the buttermilk pancakes and bacon with orange juice and hot tea. It was really good.

View from our table for breakfast (we also had a window at dinner).

A better look at the dining room.

Pancakes with bacon, hot tea & OJ.

Also at the Inn is a General Store which offers souvenirs and caters to the nearby Campground. Finally, I must mention how friendly the staff is at the Pisgah Inn. From the restaurant to the front desk they made our stay even better. I have to say I have stayed in fancier places, by I don't know of any better and I can't wait to go back. I have to say that it lived up to its motto..."Peak of the Parkway."

The light of the mountains...nice!

Deb enjoys the view.

Clouds roll in.

The General Store.

2 comments:

  1. Altho' from nearby Hendersonville, have stayed here several times, and will keep coming back. Love this place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Altho' from nearby Hendersonville, have stayed here several times, and will keep coming back. Love this place!

    ReplyDelete