Friday, February 5, 2021

Hopefully A Colder Winter Means Better Maple Sap


In East Tennessee, the start of the last month of February can mean snow, but for the last five years for me, it is tapping maple trees.
If you thought that they only did this in the Northeast or Canada and as I have said...no. I mean that is why the visitor center in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park is named for that part of the park called Sugarlands. The UPS guy came while I was tapping and ask what I did with the maple sap and I said "make syrup" and he replied, "you can do that?"


For this sixth season, I now call the big maple trees that I tap here at St. Clair my Tennessee Tap. That is because I tapped a tree at the Cabin last year (and will again this year) and it is where I got most of my sap. Anyway, once I tapped I did get good news as the wood out of the holes of both trees was most. Then when I put the taps in they started to drip sap immediately which is what you want to see. From this point, it is a waiting game, more to come...




No comments:

Post a Comment