Friday, May 21, 2021

Appalachian Shelters: HogBack Ridge

Since I did a blog on the Appalachian Trail (AT) Section Hike covering Sams Gap to Devils Fork Gap I have to spotlight one of its highlights, HogBack Ridge Shelter. My first visit to this small shelter under the supervision of the Carolina Mountain Club (CMC) was in February of 2016. On my first visit, I thought I would one day want to stay here because it is such a quint shelter. That time came in July of 2019 and I would accomplish three things. My birthday outing was also my first solo-shelter backpack, and finally, I finished the section I mentioned above. 

My February 2016 visit

Anyway, this smaller shelter was built in 1984 by the CMC. It is located a tenth of a mile off the AT. This one is a log cabin-style shelter, which was the template for the Flint Mountain Shelter built four years later. It is a one-level shelter that sleeps six. I had it to myself on my visit, but like Jerry Cabin, it could fill up quickly. 

Clockwise: The sign that leads to the shelter

Two sides of the shelter

Inside

Like most shelters, I have visited it has a picnic table and a nice fire ring, but since this is a CMC Shelter it also has bear cables located at the front of the building. Also, being in the CMC area means there is a privy. A sign points the way to the right of the shelter. 

Picnic table & fire ring

Bear cables

Privy

My one main issue with the shelter is the water source is a good distance away. It is at least 0.3 miles, but maybe closer to 0.4. I admit I was tired, but I went back for water the following morning and it still seemed quite away. I mean there is another water sign that lets you know your on the right path. Still, it is a good water source and like it, this shelter is a good choice to kick back at and enjoy

Clockwise: First sign, halfway sign & water

It is Tales From The Wood Booger


No comments:

Post a Comment