Wednesday, May 5, 2021

It Is A May Day Or Two On Rich Mountain



May Day is the International Workers Holiday but for this Wood Booger, it also has become a day for hiking. Like many things, the new tradition of hiking on May Day was canceled by the COVID-19 Pandemic. So, I decided to make up for last year and do two days with an overnight backpack to Rich Mountain for this May Day.

Lake Lanier - 2014

Old Forge - 2019

Camping near the Rich Mountain Fire Tower was something I had thought of doing for some time. I did my first campout a few weeks ago to test my new Nemo Disco +15 sleeping bag. So, this time I wanted to do a shakedown backpack to get my gear straightened out and start to get my legs under me. I thought of several places (including up Phillips Hollow) but settled on Rich Mountain. If not for COVID this would be a no-brainer about doing Rich Mountain, but it is AT (Appalachian Trail) Thru-hiking season which means more people on the trail and the possibility of having trouble finding a campsite. Oh, it was Saturday too.

SW Virginia 1st Campout

Even with all that in mind I decided to head towards Tanyard Gap. I have to admit this is a personal favorite area of mine, which I haven't been to since before the pandemic (Feburary 2020). The last number of times I had been to Tanyard Gap there had been only a few cars, but to my chagrin, it was much different on this day. There were at least 12 cars and while that isn't anything like Carvers Gap or Max Patch, it's a lot for Tanyard Gap. While you can hike south on the AT to Mill Ridge for here, most who park here are going to Rich Mountain. With that in mind, I thought of going somewhere else or camping on the AT near Mill Ridge. I would later learn it is good I didn't go there because several people were camping there. In the end, I decided to stay with the plan and head up the AT towards Rich Mountain.


Carvers Gap (TL), Max Patch (TR) & Tanyard Gap ('18)

Tanyard Gap

Mill Ridge - December 2017

I have done this hike multiple times, but this is the first time with under 30 pounds on my back. Yes, I have finally got my pack weight down to sub-30. I just wish I could get my personal weight down. Still, it seemed steeper on this day than on hikes past. It was good to see maintenance had been done like fixing some narrow spots on the trail and adding new log bridges. I was encouraged that the campsites on the way up were not occupied, but I was passed by a number of thru-hikers. 



Trail Improvements...

...by Carolina Mountain Club

I had two ideas of where I wanted to camp. My first idea was a large site just up the hill from the junction to the Rich Mountain Fire Tower. But as I rounded the ridge I could see at least three tents across the way at this site. So, it was spot number two just up the spur trail that heads up to the fire tower. 

Roundtop Ridge

My first choice campsite...

...but it was occupied

My campsite in the shadow of the fire tower

Luckily for me, no one was camping here, so I dropped my pack and started to set up. While I did that thru-hikers came by heading up to the fire tower and one or two to take a break. But it worked out for me as all the thru-hikers said they were headed to Spring Mountain Shelter. No offense, but I am still not ready to share a campfire with a bunch of strangers (sorry Pete it wasn't at my campfire). 

REI Flash 1...

...& my campsite

One of the reasons I camped at Rich Mountain was to enjoy the sunset upon the fire tower. So, after dinner and coffee,,, I decided to head up to the tower. There were are few people up there including a couple, Marty and Laura from Maine and Canada who lived in Morristown. They were surprised that I use the word toque. This was my second time encountering people who were vaccinated like me. t was a nice sunset by the way. After I enjoyed some needed campfire time.


Dinner, Beef & Barley Soup




The summit marker has the old name...Rich Knob





Camp Creek Bald & Big Firescald Knob

Big Bald & Wolf Laurel

Asheville, NC

Unaka Mountain










After a mouse running over my tent, I had a restful night. I was up early and headed up to the tower for the sunrise. I have to say as nice as the setting Sun was the previous evening its rise was even better. One interesting thing...Marty and Laura stayed in the tower (I might have to do that the next time) overnight. While sitting by the fire I heard vehicles come in but I didn't hear them leave, the reason...they didn't. When I got there in the morning they were near the tower.










Bluff Mountain



Anyway, once back at camp it was breakfast and the arduous task of breaking down camp. Since I carry fewer things it does take less time. After getting water (that is another good thing about this site water is close) it was back down the AT. It was a steep but pleasant hike back. The only wildlife was an alone chipmunk, but I did hear a guy say he saw a bear. 











One last thing...when I come to the area of Tanyard Gap one of my favorite places to get a coffee is at the Laurel River Store. I have blogged about it here, but it is just a great little place. One of the reasons I had gone over towards Hot Springs is because I didn't want to go to the store during the pandemic. Well, the people who own the store did the responsible thing last March and closed because they didn't want the chance of spreading Cornavirus to the local community. I laud their sacrifice and I hope they are open again so I can enjoy their wonderful store and a great cup of coffee!



No comments:

Post a Comment