Thursday, May 6, 2021

This Disco From NEMO Is The Best Of Both Bags

 

If you are familiar with camping you know there aren't many pieces of gear more important than your sleeping bag. Whether backpacking, base camping, or car camping it is what one will spend the night in. So, at Christmas, I received as a present a new bag, the NEMO Disco +15. 

As you might have noticed I already own two sleeping bags. My original sleeping bag is my REI Lumen +40 that I got back in 2013. I will admit it was a budget buy so it is pretty lightweight, but it packs okay. However, its Achilles heel is that it is a 40-degree bag. When I bought it I thought it would be used primarily in the Summer. But I would soon realize that it can get cold at night in the higher elevations...it just wasn't very warm. So, I needed to improve the warmth of my sleeping bag. This led me to acquire a Sea to Summit Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner. This liner, the Extreme, could add up to 25 degrees of warmth to the bag. While it helped, it was pushed past its limits on my backpack in September to Coldsprings Mountain

I did get a cooler weather bag, the Teton LEEF 0. This mummy bag while warm is big and heavy so its primary function is car and base camping, which it has done a good job of. So, what I need was the lightweight of the Lumen but the warmth of LEEF, so it was the NEMO Disco +15.

Besides the cool name, the Plus-15 means its comfort limit is 15 degrees. Besides being much warmer than the REI Lumen and it is far lighter (about the same weight as the Lumen) than the Teton LEEF 0. On the NEMO Disco's first test I camped near the Cabin at my Wood Booger Ridge Campsite. It was in the mid-30s and I was never close to being cold. If needed I can also pair it with my sleeping bag liner. Another thing I love about my NEMO is that it's not a true mummy bag, but more like a spoon shape. This makes for better side-sleeping which I prefer. It passed this first test and then proved just as warm and comfy on my backpack to Rich Mountain. It is already my favorite sleeping bag!




No comments:

Post a Comment