Saturday, January 29, 2022

Snow Saturday in East Tennessee

Something odd happened today, I awoke to a dusting of snow when it wasn't really expected. Also, St. Clair had more snow than anywhere from here to Greeneville. 

Because of the amount of snow, I decided to go down TN-107 past Horse Creek to the Clarks Creek Area and on to Sil Branch Falls. The reason is it is an amazing winter waterfall. The little snowfall started to change the closer to the mountains I got and grew as I continued up TN-107. Around the turnoff to Clarks Creek Road, there was snow, but I headed up the road anyway and it was bad on the paved part. However, when the road changed from Clarks Creek Road to FS-25 not only was it paved to gravel but little snow to snow-covered. With two miles still to the trailhead, I decided that description was the better part of valor and turned around. 

Clockwise: On the way to Clarks Creek, the sign when I arrived & the mountain above

The sign at the entrance at Clarks Creek

So, since there was plenty of snow on the mountain I decided to do a little of the Tusculum Trail to take in the view. I didn't stay out too long because of the wind-producing bone-chilling temperatures. Anyway, while there wasn't as much snow as last Saturday, and the weather didn't cooperate I did get some cool pictures.

Tusculum Trail

Cold mountain vista

Unaka Mountain

Wilson Knob (T) & Chestnut Knob (B)

Blackstack Cliffs (TL) & Jones Meadow (TR) & Big Firescald Knob (B)

Camp Creek Bald & Summit

Coldsprings Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment