Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Under The Weather But Over (Night) At Camp Creek Bald


Another trip that was some time back my first of October, and it was up to Camp Creek Bald. Also, as Pete also colorfully elaborated, it was supposed to be two nights out.
Before we get to why, no second night, let's talk first about the first. I headed up on the first Wednesday of the month, and while chilly it was just beautiful. Since I had planned a backpack for the following day, I decided the most strenuous activity would be setting up camp and hiking up to Camp Creek Bald and the Grandstand for sunset. I pick the MM-297 the campsite I stayed at two years ago. 

Where I'm headed.

The campsite at AT MM-297.


After eating, I decided to go up a little early so I could run the drone, again, around the tower. As usual, I went up Tower Road, which was once the Appalachian Trail (AT). Once at the old fire tower up went, the drone went. Since the wind was calmer, I actually got it up higher. I ended up with a few good shots. 

High above...

...Camp Creek Bald.





Before long, it was time for sunset at one of the area's best spots...the Grandstand. I went back to camp via the AT, and I will say it felt like October. It was a little spooky. Right before I got back, I heard what sounded like people, and it was. Two section hikers, a couple, had set up at the campsite. I mean, it does have a piped spring, which makes it popular. 

The Sun...

...goes...

...down.

It was dark on the trail.

The water makes this campsite popular.


I was feeling okay when settling in by the fire, but the following morning not so much. So, the backpack to Coldsprings Mountain was out and a day hike to Big Firescald Knob was in the cards. Something did come out of choosing the day hike. I met an AT Maintainer from Greeneville, Dave Jones. He overlooks the stretch of the AT which includes Little Laurel Shelter. After our talk, I decided I might finally do some AT Maintenance (more on that at another time).

Sunrise...


Old shelter site.

My tree with fall color.


I did get to run the drone but I won't take it up on Big Firescald Knob again. Let's just say I didn't make a lot of friends. However, the flying was a little better when I returned to Jones Meadow where I got some great photos. So, even with the disappointment of no backpack it still was a great overnight on the Camp...

Looking back at The Camp from above Big Firescald Knob...

...looking back towards Coldsprings Mtn., Big Butt & Gravel Knob.

Jones Meadow from above.

Looking back where I had been.

Looking into NC (Below) TN Vista.



No comments:

Post a Comment