Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Day Hiking In The Foothills Of The Smokies At Ramsey Cascades



Well, today (Tuesday) it was back to the Smokies, as I chip away at my 100 miles for the Park Service Centennial, and it is a good one as I hiked to Ramsey Cascades. Like with some of my previous hikes I plan a more in-depth blog on this outing in the future.  I know this is considered maybe THE waterfall hike in the Great Smokies Mountains National Park (GSMNP). The hike is out of the Greenbrier section of the park, which made this my first visit.



After a drive of almost five miles, mostly on gravel road I arrived at the trailhead. From here it is an eight-mile out-and-back and the trip up is a steep, rocky, uphill climb of 2000 feet with a few creek crossings.






Once at the falls, Ramsey Cascades is a wonder to behold; rolling 100 feet to its base, it is the best I have seen in the GSMNP.


Besides a beautiful waterfall there were plenty of wildflowers, old growth forest and I spotted some turkeys. There was even a black snake stretched out on the trail. After finishing the hike I took a short detour (what a surprise) on the Foothills Parkway. This six-mile eastern section is one of three open and it offered some great overlooks, including a view of Mount Cammerer.






No comments:

Post a Comment