Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Hiking The Smokies High Country In Thru-Hiking Season


Today, Monday I found myself in the High Country of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). I usually don't hike on Monday’s, but with this kind of weather over the last few days I couldn’t resist. When I got to Clingmans Dome (where the hike starts) I knew I had made the right choice as the view was incredible!



I will have a more detailed Day Blog on this hike, but on this 10.5 mile outing I crossed the summit of four peaks over 5,500 feet (Clingmans Dome – 6,643 feet, Mt. Buckley – 6,582 feet, Jenkins Knob – 5,564 feet & Silers Bald – 5,607 feet), two shelters (Double Springs Gap & Silers Bald) and an area called the Narrows. I also passed plenty of Appalachian Trail thru-hikers. That wasn’t all there were plenty of wildflowers, especially Spring Beauties.








 I ended the hike back at Clingmans Dome. On the drive back I made a stop at Newfound Gap.



No comments:

Post a Comment