Friday, April 22, 2016

At The Edge Of The Smokies Is Old Dad's


With all that has gone on the week I almost forgot about a blog on my visit to Old Dad's General Store...better late than never. It has been around a week ago since Deb and I hiked the Gatlinburg Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). Once we left the park we stopped in at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) Gatlinburg. Across the street I spotted Old Dad’s. I had seen this place before on my visit to NOC and had thought about crossing the street, because Old Dad’s had a "Beer Cave" and I was curious what they had. So, I decided to cross the road and see what Old Dad’s had to offer. If you don’t know NOC and Old Dad’s sit at the edge of the GSMNP. From NOC you can see the start of the Gatlinburg Trail. 

Where we hiked is...

...right across the road from NOC.

Old Dad's (left & NOC (right) from Gatlinburg Overlook.

So, Old Dad’s offered a lot of items that campers entering the park might need. I would say that this is also a stop for Appalachian Trail thru-hiking (that might be why there is a sign that says you can’t have an open beer). Speaking of beer they really didn’t have a great selection in the cave, but the thing that caught my eye was the grill. 

Old Dad's mascot.


Inside the General Store.

So, I went back over to NOC and see if Deb wanted to give it a try and since she was as hungry as me she was game. So, the menu had a nice selection from breakfast to sandwiches, but both Deb and I settled on hamburgers. I got the double burger with Swiss cheese and we split an order of fries, which was a good thing because it was pretty good size. I must say I was pleasingly surprised. The French fries were really good, but the best part was the burger. While maybe not the best burger of all-time it was pretty damn good. I will say that this is a place I would visit again anytime. So, if you find your self at the far end of Gatlinburg, before you head into the Smokies, give Old Dad’s a try.
The Deli/Grill...

...& my burger and half an order of fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment