Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Top 5 Special: Best Hikes Of Each Month Of 2015



It is a New Year; while that means no beginnings it also is a good time to look back at the Wood Booger's year on the trail in 2015. Last year this blog was a Special Top-5 and you can say the same about this one. While I will be doing my favorite hike of each month of 2015 this year I will be adding some additional stats. Just like last year it is hard to choose between hikes sometimes and then other times hikes just stand head and shoulders over others. So with that said lets first start with the stats.

Total Miles: 435

Hiking Miles: 350

Longest Hike: 12.5 Miles - Hike to Mt. LeConte via the Alum Caves Trail, GSMNP

Shortest Hike: .04 Miles - Falls of Logan Creek, SW Virginia

Coldest Hike: 12 Degrees - Gold Branch Trail, Roswell, GA

Warmest Hike: 96 Degrees - AT near Hot Springs, NC

Highest Mountain Peak: 6,593 ft. - Mt. LeConte, GSMNP

Lowest Elevation: -5 ft. - Atlantic Ocean, Emerald Isle, NC

Tallest Waterfall: 729 ft. - Amicalola Falls, Dawsonville, GA

Shortest Waterfall: 5 ft. - Sawnee Mtn. Preserve Falls, Cumming, GA

Highest Gap: 5,375 ft. - Dry Sluice Gap, GSMNP

Lowest Gap: 1,266 ft. - Moccasin Gap, Gate City, VA

Highest Trailhead: 5,820 ft. - Waterrock Knob Trail, BRP, NC

Lowest Trailhead: 5 ft. - Elliott Coues Nature Trail, Ft. Macon, NC


Now with the stats out of the way here are the Top Hikes of Each Month of 2015.

January, 2015: Cold Hike Georgia On Gold Branch Trail - I could have used my hike on the Navy Lodge Nature Trail, but I thought a real January hike (cold one) needed to go here and this was one of my favorites of the month. This was the first and coldest hike of 2015 and made it memorable. Also, the fact we had five others from my Hike Georgia group showed dedication. This was one of my favorite hikes down by the "Hooch" (Chattahoochee River) and one great way to start 2015.

February, 2015: Hike Georgia @ Yonah Mountain - This hike was special last year and in some ways it is a little more special now since I have moved from Georgia. This outing was with my mid-week Hike Georgia group and looking back this was when our group was at its peak. Not only did I get to hike with great people like Lori, Mikki and John to name a few, but the location is a personal favorite. This was my second trip to Yonah Mountain, but I will say the views were way better on this day, just a great hike.

March, 2015: Hike Georgia @ Woody Gap - This out-and-back hike from Woody Gap to Gooch Gap had a number of things going for it. It was springtime, thru-hiking season had started and this is just a nice section of the Georgia AT (Appalachian Trail). I had done part of this section, to Ramrock Mountain, but not the eight miles (total). On the way I discovered an outcrop better than Ramrock and some cool AT carvings at Gooch Gap. When we returned I took Mikki and Paul on their first trip up to Preaching Rock.

April, 2015: AT Hiking @ Camp Creek Bald & Big Firescald Knob - At the time I didn't know the next time I hiked in Tennessee I would be back living there. I will say this is one of my favorite spots on the Tennessee-North Carolina AT. This wasn't my first time up here; back in 2013 I hiked around Camp Creek Bald, White Rock and Blackstack Cliffs. This time was an out-and-back on the AT over the ridgeline of Big Firescald Knob. I have said this before this is one of the most underrated views on the southern AT. Also, I got to hike with Glen and Charlie (his dog) which was cool, because it doesn't happen as much these days.

May, 2015: AT Section Hiking Woody Gap To Neel Gap - This wasn't my first section hike, but was the one in Georgia I wanted to do most. I was going to do this one solo, but I met this guy on Facebook named Gregg and he was doing this section so I went out with him. It was a great day of hiking, I met a new friend and I got to visit Preaching Rock and Blood Mountain on the same day...you can't beat it that.

June, 2015: GSMNP Hike To The Jumpoff & Charlie's Bunion - This was the first hike I did after returning to Tennessee and with all the problems I had with my apartment in Dawsonville and moving back I really needed this hike. So, when I decided on a outing these two spots were first on the list. I had wanted to do this one for some time and it didn't disappoint. The Jumpoff and Charlie's Bunion have earned their reputations as great spots which made this hike the number one of HikeSummer and one of my favorite hikes ever.

July, 2015: Grotto Falls Hike - Day Out In GSMNP On The Roaring Forks & In Gatlinburg - It is back to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) for July's entry. I finally got to travel the Roaring Forks Motor Nature Trail and the bonus was a hike to Grotto Falls. A very popular three-mile out-and-back takes one to a 25-foot free falling cascade. Besides the falls there were plenty of blooming Rosebay Rhododendrons and we glimpsed a bear...win, win and win!

August, 2015: Left Behind By Hike Georgia But Still A Great Day At Mt.LeConte - Like June there really was no doubt what the top hike of the last month of HikeSummer would be and that was my trip up to Mount LeConte. The path I took up this iconic mountain was the most travelled, by the way of the Alum Caves Trail. I actually started the day with a Hike Georgia group, but I will just say I couldn't keep up with them, but I did find three other hikers, who were going to the LeConte Lodge, that were hiking more at my pace. Once at the top I visited the lodge, High Top (the true summit) Myrtle Point and Cliff Tops. Oh, on the way up and back I got to see Alum Caves and Arch Rock and even spotted the Eye of the Needle, it was a great day of hiking and all-time Top 10 hike.

September, 2015: Fall Loop Hiking At Max Patch - Another favorite spot of mine is Max Patch and what made this hike special as this was Deb's first visit to this great spot. On my first two trips here I really just hiked up the AT on the mountain, but Deb and I did the Max Patch Loop which is over a mile longer than what I had done before. The one thing that was the same on all three hikes was the wonderful view...I love Max Patch!

October, 2015: Everything I Love About Autumn Was On Display On The
Way To Mt. Cammerer - In a month where there were some great hikes the best of October wasn't even close and that was my outing to the Mount Cammerer Lookout. This hike was near the top of the list of destinations in the GSMNP and after doing The Jumpoff, Charlie's Bunion and Mt. LeConte it had moved to the top. The hike was memorable for the steep climb up to Low Gap, the autumn colors and the glorious views from the lookout it was also my first hike with the Johnson City Hiking Club. Once again another Top 10 all-time hike.

November, 2015: By Coalition Hiking On Clinch Mountain To The Great Channels - Another group hike this time was with the Clinch Coalition and the hike was one high on my To-Do-List, the Great Channels of Virginia. It was quite a drive to the hike, just under two hours on the other side of Abington. The hike started at Hayters Gap on the Washington-Russell County line and heads up a trail that is mostly road bed. When you reach the area of the Channels you will first see the old Hayters Knob Fire Tower and the remains of the live-in cabin. On the trail down you will first enjoy the view on top of the Channels and then descend into the labyrinth below, which is a marvel to behold. This was one great hike and I can't wait to go back.

December, 2015: Day Hike In The GSMNP To Mt. Sterling - Where else would the final hike on the list be than the GSMNP. I have had so many great hikes this year in the park, and why not one more. Once again Mount Sterling was high on my Smokies Bucket List, and when I got a surprisingly nice day in December I thought now is the time. The drive to Mount Sterling Gap (& the trailhead) is an adventure in itself. Then the hike up is pretty steep, but around a mile from the summit you even get to put in sometime on the Benton MacKaye Trail. Once at the top you will find the old 60-foot fire tower. With stronger winds than I expected the tower was a little unnerving on the way up, but the vista more than made up for it. I hope this tower gets refurbished like the lookout at Cammerer did.

No comments:

Post a Comment