Sunday, January 31, 2016

My DIY Project: The Second One...Fixing A Toilet


Well, my second DIY (Do It Yourself) project was not outdoor related (like the first), but an in the house one. My DIY job was to repair the toilet in the original bathroom at Saint Clair. I know what some of you are going to think, “Russ fix a toilet...no way!” Well, the Wood Booger wasn’t daunted and set out to fix it. On Friday, the toilet started running and wouldn’t stop unless you just turned the water off. Terry was going to call a plummer on Monday since my Dad is out of action after Gall Bladder surgery on Thursday. Anyway, I decided to give it a try and get it working. 


The toilet that needed fixing.

The old set up (I had to keep the old flapper).

So, I first thought it was the flapper, because the toilet had a float and the chain for it broke. Well, it wasn’t, it turns out it was the fill valve. So, I drove to Morristown and went to Lowe’s and picked up a complete toilet “guts” pack by Korky. 


The busted fill valve.

Part of the Korky & directions.

Wouldn't fit, but the fill valve did.

I also picked up a new handle since you never know what one will break. Well, after disconnecting the water supply, draining into a bucket and taking out the old fill valve it was time to put in the new flapper. It turns out it was too small, but after consulting with my Dad I just put the old flapper back in and installed the new fill valve. After getting it put in I also used the new handle (it was brass not plastic), hooked up the water and turned on the valve. Guess what...it filled with water, worked and so far there are no leaks either! So, I fixed a toilet today...nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment