Saturday, August 22, 2015

Left Behind By Hike Georgia But Still A Great Day At Mt. LeConte

There are places to hike in the Smokies and then there is Mount LeConte. While not the highest peak in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP), it is third, there maybe no mountain that dominates the park like LeConte and is as popular to hike. I have wanted to hike it for quite a while, but I just haven't done it yet. Well, when my Hike Georgia group put up a outing today to Mount LeConte  and I said why not. We were doing the Alum Cave Trail which as of now open only on the weekend. Now I must say while none of my regular group was there I had hiked with a number of the people on the outing today, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad...how wrong I was. How should I say this...THEY ABOUT KILLED ME! Right from the start the pace they were setting made you think someone had dinner reservations in Gatlinburg or needed to hit the tables in Cherokee. I was still with the group when we reached Arch Rock. It is where the trail cuts right up through the rock. Well, it is tight and an older lady was struggling up so I waited for her and hiked with her until we caught up with her group. This got me behind and when I caught up at the Alum Caves, which is one of the highlights of the hike, I just had time for a quick picture (I didn't even have time to tie my boots). They just charged up the trail and while I tried to keep up I was gassed! So, I just decided to hike my hike. It was about this time I met up with three hikers who were headed up to the lodge. I asked if they had seen my group and they said they had blown by them. They then added they weren't going super fast and I could hike with them, which I did. There were some great vistas on the trail, including  this place called Sliding Rock. After more uphill hiking (most of this hike is uphill) It finally leveled out to the LeConte Lodge. I will write more in the future, but let's just say it was cool. I left my hiking partners and headed out toward Myrtle Point. The way out takes one over the summit of LeConte. After passing the summit it was off to Myrtle Point and its wonderful view. After leaving Myrtle Point it was off to Cliff Tops and another great vista. After leaving there it was time to head back. It was mostly downhill back to Alum Caves, which I got to enjoy this time. At Myrtle Point this guy told me about a formation, on Little Duck Hawk Ridge, a hole in the rock called the Eye of the Needle and I spotted it. On down the trail I got to enjoy Inspiration Point, unlike going up. With all the problems that started the day it turned into a great hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment