Monday, December 12, 2016

It Was Too Cold For The Devil On A Winter Day To Shelton Graves


Meteorological winter, it starts at the beginning of December (which is what I go by) and today on my hike to the Shelton Graves from Devil's Fork Gap on the Appalachian Trail (AT) it was on full display. I decided to do this hike as it was a joint outing of the Johnson City Hiking and Mid-Appalachian Highlands Clubs. I am a member of the Johnson City Hiking Club having been out with them a couple of times in the past, but I had never been out with the Mid-Appalachian Highlands. We started out from Devil's Fork Gap, which TN-352/NC-202 cross at the state-line. The parking area here was pretty large and that might be because the AT crosses in the gap. 

The state-line....

...adequate parking...

...is at Devil's Fork Gap.

Sun comes up...

...on the AT...

...& our hike.

Headed AT-South...

...past the Devil's Fork Gap sign.

The reason I started out mentioning meteorological winter was it was 14 degrees when I left Greeneville and it was even colder when I reached Devil's Fork Gap, let me just say again it was frosty. However, even though it was cold it was one of those days where if I zipped up I would start to sweat, but if I opened up my PrimaLoft Packway Jacket I would get chilled. I don't think it was the incline because of the first part of the hike to Flint Mountain Shelter, while uphill, was not too hard it might have been the early pace. Whatever it was I had to take off a layer about a mile into the hike. 

With the little sun to start...

...there was HoarFrost on the trail...

...on ferns...

...& the ground.

Cool boulder field.

This Wood Booger was glad we reached...

...Flint Mountain Shelter...

...which was built in 1988....

...& sleeps eight....

...look for the "secret" Flint Mtn. craving under the picnic table.

While the first part was not too hard the next half was anything but. It really started at Flint Gap as the AT got steep, climbing over 1,000 feet (1,019) in 1.7 miles. Finally, after plateauing I decided to look at my app on my phone Geo Tracker and it was informing me that we should have reached our destination as the hike was supposed to be 10.4 miles and the app said 5.2, but no Shelton Graves. No, it turned out that it was another six-tenths of a mile which made the hike 11.6 miles. Also when we turned the corner when the peaked out it got noticeably colder. It just wasn't that the trail was now close to 4,500 feet, but the breeze picked up and it doesn't take much wind when it is cold to make it unpleasant. 

Just past the shelter don't go left (like we almost did) but right & follow the white blaze.

We did have a view...

....the group stopped to take it in before...

...Flint Gap...

...& the hard hike up.

I think I know what the middle peak is...White House Cliffs in Rocky Fork!

Here is when the trail finally flattened out.

An old tire.

While the hiking got easier...

...it got colder...

...seen here...

...& here. 



Once you get to the AT log it isn't too far.

Finally, we reached the destination of Shelton Graves. The story goes that the Shelton Brothers William and David enlisted in the Union Army during the Civil War. In 1863 when the two brothers were returning home for a visit. On July 1st he Shelton's and their nephew Millard F. Haire, (who was 13) were ambushed by Confederate soldiers and killed and later buried on this spot only a few miles from their home. According to a story in the Greeneville Sun, the Shelton's were part of a recruiting detachment for the Union Army, around nine men. The cabin they were staying in was surrounded by Confederates with Haire being killed trying to warn those in the cabin of the attack. It is then said that the Shelton's were killed exiting the cabin. Oh, the date for this account is also different being July 17, 1864, a full year later than the other account. Also, another event, the Shelton Laurel Massacre, is sometimes confused with the death of the Shelton Brothers. The Shelton Laurel Massacer was in January of 1863 near Hot Springs. Anyway, the headstones for William and David Shelton were placed here in 1915 by the United States War Department but because Millard Haire wasn't an "official" Union Soldier a gravestone for him was placed there in 1994 by some of his descendants. 

Finally here where you take the short trail 

...to the graves.

David Shelton headstone.

William Shelton headstone.

Millard F. Haire headstone...

...& dedication plaque.

This is a separate event.

This was the turnaround point of the hike which we did after lunch (let me mention again it was cold, I glad I brought that thermos of hot tea). We cut a good pace going back AT-north until we reached Flint Gap. I remember the downhill on the way to the graves and I didn't look forward to it on the way back. While not near as steep going south on the AT, by this time I had hiked over seven miles by this point so I was getting a little tired. I have to say I was glad when the trail flattens out and even more so when we reached the Flint Mountain Shelter. 

Headed back...

...AT-North.

Yes, the trail....

...was still cold.

I thought this section was well marked.

It was about here that it warmed up.

AHeaded back down to...

...Flint Gap.

While not as long or steep by this point it felt like it.

Another AT carving.

Once past the uphill, I was glad to see...

...Flint Mountain Shelter.

This also meant that we were in the last fourth of the hike. I have to say it seemed longer going back than earlier in the day. I have to say I was glad when I spotted the road and then the cars.

Someone is a Tennessee fan (shelter sits in NC).

Our Hike Leader (but not the Hike Leader) Eric leads us back.

The final section of the day...

...had some cool boulders...

...a little uphill...

...but I was glad to reach the road.


Somewhere I need to go in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment