Saturday, December 17, 2016

New Discoveries At Laurel Run Park


Friday I went hiking in my "backyard" as I didn't even leave Hawkins County as I visited Laurel Run Park. The park is one of the closest hiking spots to me, but since I have moved back I had only have been on an outing here once. That was over a year ago as my annual Thanksgiving Weekend Hike was at Laurel Run Park. I am not going into detail about the first part of the hike to Laurel Run Falls, Lower Kiner and Upper Kiner Falls as I did that here last year, which covers mile-and-a-half of this out-and-back. But because of time and it was cold I didn't do the Overlook Trail today. Anway, here are some photos (the water flow on the falls were better today).

Park sign.

The two old log buildings.

The "new" Overlook Sign.

Icy water.

New improved crossing.

Frozen raccoon tracks.

Laurel Run Falls...


...Lower Kiner Falls...


...Upper Kiner Falls.


Oh, it was cold today (but it is meteorological winter).

Now, this part of the hike is the section of the Johnny Molloy' book Five-Star Trails of Tri-Cities heads uphill before coming to a three prong fork in the trail. Like a lot of trails, it is well blazed, except when you really need it as is the case here. I had brought Molloy's book, so I knew not to go on the lower trail as it is an old road bed that crosses a creek before coming to a no trespassing sign. Since the upper trail seemed to be part of the same road bed I figured the more traditional looking center trail was the right one and I was right. On the way back I went up the upper trail it ran out into a field that might have once been the home to a barn. Moral of the story...beter blazing!

This is the spot of the three prong fork.

Field at the trail that goes left.

Anyway, from here it was about one-tenth of a mile to the first of three old house on this part of the trail, the Morrison Homesite. The first thing that popped into my mind when I eyed was the Evil Dead House! I will have to say this might be a good place to hike to on Halloween. 

Approaching...

Morrison Homesite & it looks like...

...the Evil Dead Cabin!

Inside the Morrison Cabin.

One of the outbuildings is still standing.

Another view of the cabin.

Well after looking around a bit I head on now gentle sloping trail to the next old home, the Asa Simpson Homesite. This house was slightly more rundown. However, it was nothing like the condition of the last homesite as the Alex Wallen house and completely collapsed and all that was really standing was the old chimney. 

Asa Simpson Homesite...

...inside has seen better days.

On the trail...

...to the remains of the Alex Wallen Cabin.

The final two-tenths of a mile of the hike has the Laurel Run Run Trail dead-end with the Kiner Hollow Trail. The trail heads straight toward Bays Mountain Park and I wasn't able to find where the other part of the trail goes (may have to do an exploratory hike that way). As this was the turnaround point the trail back took me past the homesites and waterfalls. 

Turnaround spot.

Old & new blaze.

On the way back.

On the way back I did look for a way to the base of Upper Kiner Falls. I didn't see a good one I later learned that you have to basically go up the creek. I think I will wait for warmer weather before doing this. In this research, I found another cascade, Logger Falls. So, if you are ever in the area of Laurel Run Park, it has a lot to offer, because even when you think you have seen it all there are new surprises.

One green tree.

Seeing the Holston River means hike over!

1 comment: