Saturday, July 29, 2017

Did You Miss The Rabbit Hole?


Pete here did you miss me? Yeah, I know it has been a few weeks since I last wrote this blog on Tales from the Wood Booger. The Big Lummox has been begging for me to write one since we all know who the star of this blog is and who is the hack! I had to make him sweat a little especially since he forgot to get my picture on top of Sam Knob...but I digress. That is where we will start with the Will's overnight backpack with the Harvey Broome Group of the Sierra Club to the Shining Rock Wilderness.


When we got to the trailhead we weighed our backpack and it was 44 pounds, which means I had to carry 230, and he was the one whining. The hiking was not too difficult, I was a little disappointed we didn't camp in the open, but pansies like the Big Lummox were scared of storms. We did have one roll through, it was amazing how unprepared some of the group were, I am surprised they brought their tent. However, I made sure we had our stuff together because I follow Will's example of hike leading.





I am not going to get into the snafu at Sam Knob, just let me say when you drag someone through the dark, up a mountain you would think they could remember to get your photo at the top! With that said it was great to be out for two days.






Next up was last week at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. While I love coming here the biggest problem on this trip was not enough hiking. All we did was the hike from Thomas Walker Parking Area to Tri-State Peak, which also took us through the saddle of Cumberland Gap. For a Hiking Rabbit of my skill, I rate this hike as easy, but there was a point I didn't think we would make it. So, I took command carrying and dragging the dead weight to the top!




Then going to the Pinnacle Overlook, we didn't hike but drove up...good God, we drove like a bunch of tourists, how embarrassing. Oh, and I had to hear continuously about how hot it was.


Anyway, that brings me to this past weekend at the Tennessee Sierra Club Chapter Meeting at Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park. We did have a hike on Saturday, while easy was surprisingly fun. Ranger Randy was cool and the only kid on the trip wasn't too annoying. While some others complained about spiders and such the only thing the Big Lummox whined about was the heat, but I will cut him some slack as it was hot, really hot...that is true, that is damn true! While there are some in the Sierra Club, who cry like the Lummox, overall most are okay.







No comments:

Post a Comment