Monday, July 31, 2017

R.I.P. Jane Bald Sign...Wherever You Are


On the summit of Jane Bald there once stood a large marker with the elevation of the mountain (5,807 feet). I first visited this summit in October of 2013 and the marker was there for my next three trips up Jane Bald. Then in February, I found that the sign had fallen over (it looked like it might need work in June of 2016). Well, someone had righted the sign by the time I returned in June (and the sign had been strapped to keep it together). 

October 2013

July 2014

June 2016

February 2017

June 2017

Then today someone asked me about what used to be on the old Round Bald Summit sign. I said the name of the peak and elevation (5,826 feet), like Jane Bald. He then added I didn't see it I must have missed it. I thought it probably fell over again, but when I got to the summit of Jane Bald there was a hole and no sign. Yes, not just the name plate (like at Round Bald), but the whole sign pole and all. 

July 2014

July 2017

June 2017

July 2017

Who would do this? I mean it could be the US Forest Service or the Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoe Club, but neither one has replaced the Round Blad sign, so I doubt it. Anyway, rest in peace Jane Bald sign wherever you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment